Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 340 compared to other J-Frames?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

S&W M&P 340 compared to other J-Frames?

I am looking to buy a J-Frame and I am looking at the M&P 340, 442, and 642. The 340 looks and feels awesome, but I am not sure I can justify the $300 price difference from the others.

The front sight and the 357 Mag capability are the only differences that I can see, and the only one I would care to have is the front sight.

What do you all think? Spend more on the 340 or go with the other J-Frames?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, that particular gun is the single most miserable revolver I have ever shot. I fired one that belongs to a friend using full house .357 mag ammo. Two rounds and my hand was bleeding.

If you need the .357 mag then consider the LCR. Otherwise for .38 spcl the LCR, 442, or 642 should suit you fine.

Feedback Score
    I love mine! Had it for about 2yrs now. Yes, shooting 357 magnums through any air weight snubby will hurt. I did it just to see how it felt. It was uncomfortable when the trigger guard hit my trigger finger during recoil. But I shoot/carry 38Spl +P and it's great!

To me the front sight and U notch rear were worth it. I'd buy a couple more for family members if I had the funds. It goes just about everywhere I do (can't carry it on duty).

I highly recommend it. Only thing I would do differently is get the model w/o the lock. That wasn't an option when I got mine.

ETA: they had the foresight to install a piece of steel in the top strap. Over time the flame can cut it and render a revolver useless. This is more common in air weights. Most of us won't shoot a snubby enough to worry about it but if you do, they can slide a new piece of steel into the dovetail and avoid permanent damage to the weapon.
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-23-12 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's a great gun, the j-frames are excellent BUG guns and great little packing wheel guns. That being said you won't be carrying or shooting .357 mag loads out of this gun except to only try it once, most wouldn't try it twice. The major two things in difference with an airweight- 442/642 models and 340 series, would be the weight, minimally noticeable if at all, and the front sight options. If you just have to have the ti cylinder and scandium frame and have some extra cash to throw down on one, go for it. Otherwise, from personal carry/use experience with the 442/642's, get one of them and spend the extra $ on practice ammo. Or if you can, find a used clean scandium j-frame as a cheaper alternate. Just my .02.
    MOLON LABE

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I am also very pleased with my 340. I use it as a back-up at work, and the light weight, ability to handle the higher power loads (the Dept. I work for issues +P .38) without worry, and the front night sight make it worthwhile for me.

I have fired full house .357 magnum rounds through it, and it is admittedly not very pleasant.

If you only care about the front night sight, and the .357 capability is not a requirement, it might be more cost effective to find an airweight with a pinned front sight (that you can have a night sight installed in). If you do spend the extra cash on the 340, you will at least know the pistol is overbuilt for your usual (.38 Spl.) usage.

Feedback Score
    Disagree,
    I shoot .357 125 Gr Golddots just fine out of my 340PD. My hand starts to get sore at the palm some where around 50 rounds. I cut my knuckle once while shooting.

Crimson Trace makes some pretty good laser grips that also have a padded backstrap. if you are going to drop that kind of money on any J frame I would highly recomend one. The LG-305 is the extended grip, the LG-405 is the short grip. I shoot mine with the short grip.

You dont need the .357 mag, you dont get a whole lot of extra performance out of the cartridge. Unless you have a specific application you want the .357 for (I do) I would suggest get it in .38 spcl and still get the crimson trace grips.
    Last edited by Preliator; 01-23-12 at 22:35.
    Terra, obumbravit, Terra malum, Illi qui seminat semina itineris, Quare reum esse?

Feedback Score
    I absolutely love my 340M&P. I carry it everywhere off duty and as a backup on duty. At times I like carrying something with higher capacity, but I always come back to the 340M&P.

I have owned a 642 and 442. I sold the 642 to fund the 340. I kept the 442 as a spare, but ended up selling it to a friend because he really liked it. They are great guns as well, but the sight on the 340M&P is very nice.

I have tried the LCR and the Hogue tamer grip is really nice. Even with the lighter trigger pull, I shot my 340 much better.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    why not go with the 342 if you have no interest in shooting magnum loads?

Feedback Score
    I have a 340PD that I use for at least 50% of my carry time. While I'll admit that .357 is a bit much through such a light pistol, it's far from unmanageable or uncontrollable. Here are my suggestions for comfort and proficiency:

I use Pachmayr Compact S&W J RB PK3252 grips. They are longer than the stock grip, but they cover the back strap which is a major source of discomfort for me.

I stumbled upon what I call the Miculek grip. I'd like to take credit for it but I think Jerry thought of it first. It's the second to last picture in the link.

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html

Wad cutters make excellent practice rounds. On top of being gentle to shoot they require you to develop your speed loader skills.

I haven't tried CT laser grips, but everything I've read on them is positive.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies. I will be shopping for a J-frame this week, and I am leaning toward a 642/442 because of the price.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast