Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 340 compared to other J-Frames?

Feedback Score
    I had one and sold it. I regretted selling it , and, fortunately, had the oppurtunity of buying it back. I load it with Critical Defense 110 +P or Boffalo Bore standard pressure 158 LSWCHP. If I want to load a J frame with 357 mag, I'll carry my 640.

Feedback Score
    I have one. The only .357 rounds I shoot out of it are the Speer Gold Dots for the short barrels and Hornady Critical Defense. Anything like Remmington UMC or Federal, etc hurt too damn much.

I carry mine either in my weak side pocket or strong side appendix carry. I keep .38+P's in it and two spare speed loaders of .357.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slvr Surfr View Post
    FWIW, that particular gun is the single most miserable revolver I have ever shot. I fired one that belongs to a friend using full house .357 mag ammo. Two rounds and my hand was bleeding.

If you need the .357 mag then consider the LCR. Otherwise for .38 spcl the LCR, 442, or 642 should suit you fine.
    You don't have to fire it with full house mag loads. I use mine with 357 short barrel loads which are just a tad hotter than 38 +p loads.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a 340pd (no lock)... I can't wait to go to the range and try it out
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had a 340 for a while now amd I really like it. I usually carry it in a Kramer Pocket Gun holster. I wouldn't hesitate in buying it again. Also I will admit that it can be a handful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had the same conundrum. I would have liked a 340 but ended up buying a 442 (no-lock). I like the tritium front sight of the 340, but since I'd shoot .38 Spl out of both I decided the front sight wasn't worth $300+.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having fired multiple boxes of Buffalo Bore .38spl +P LSWCHP out of my 642 with stock grips I want NO PART of a 340 with that round or any .357.

For most off the shelf .38spl "+P" rounds it would probably be pretty sweet though. I might get one some day.

Feedback Score
    I am not a fan of the SW340 in 357mag its a wild child to hold and shoot accurate repeat shots. I prefer the SW 442 &642 no-lock with good +P ammo in 125-135gr. hp bullets. There accurate and fast in double tap combat shooting. I like the black 442 finnish for ccw without the shine. If you want a effective 357 mag snubby try the Ruger Sp101 2 "or 3" powerhouse.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would recommend a S&W 337 which disappears in the pocket and is so light weight I forget its there.

Very good accuracy and when loaded with FMJ 148gr Full Wad-Cutters moving at to 850fps I'm guaranteed deep penetration and the sharp shoulders on the leading edge cut a lot of tissue.

The 337's can be found on the used market at good prices.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    To me it depends on the application you're looking for.

If this revolver will be STRICTLY a "get off me" BUG, then I don't think the 340 is worth the extra cash.

If you ever intend to carry this as a primary defensive revolver, then I would DEFINITELY spring the extra cash - the sight set up alone is worth the price difference, IMHO. The ability to fire .357 is another plus if you're recoil tolerant.

FWIW, I had a 340 M&P, and it was probably the best J-frame I ever owned. I seriously regret parting with it, even though I have a 642 no-lock to fill the BUG roll...

Regards,

Kevin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast