Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Les baer seems absent

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Les builds an outstanding 1911 especially at the price point. I have run many of his guns (PII, Stinger, Monolith, TRC and Super TAC) over the years and never had a malfunction with a single one of them. I got rid of all but one when I was trimming my 1911 herd down. Now his AR's are a different story.

This Super Tac is one that I kept and it has made it through 7 classes with several of them being in shitty conditions where even Glocks were choking.

At this point I find my self running one of the following when I shoot 1911's. Either of my Nighthawk Vickers, the Super Tac or my Harrison. When my second Harrison is finished along with another 1911 project thats in the works (that I will unveil when its finished) they will start to get the bulk of my time. I went to Glocks a while ago but still shoot a good amount of 1911.s

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd rather have a production level Colt with GI spec slop in the frame and slide.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I misread the post.. I assumed it was directed toward the LB AR.. DOH! Too many forums I guess.. Anyhow.. Babs and Elsa have never failed to run.. Cheers.. Ron

Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm not sold on a 1911 that is so tight you can barely rack the slide when new, but runs like a top after only 500 rounds. What kind of hard fitting goes from too hard to just fine in only 500 rounds?

I've seen a LOT of Baer's choke in competition and rarely see them at matches anymore.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Neither of mine were too tight to rack or anything like that when new.. Tight yes, but none of the mythical purported tightness. Finely fitted metal mechanisms do require "wearing in" as well as proper lubrication. Additionally, the "wear in vs operability" curve is not linear.. Cheers.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    I have shot and carried a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special as my primary handgun since May of 2001. I had one malfunction somewhere within the first few hundred rounds. Other than that, the weapon has been 100% reliable for the past 10 years of use. I now have somewhere in excess of 8,000 rounds through it. That's not as many as some here shoot, but plenty enough for me to feel I can trust my life to it. The initial tight lock up eventually smoothed out and the slide can be easily press-checked. It is the proverbial well-oiled machine and feels like a solid chunk of steel when you pick it up.

I sent it back to LB in early 2003 for the BaerCoat finish and also requested that the bushing be re-fit so that it could be turned by hand once out of battery with the barrel. That's my only gripe about the tight fit-- in my opinion you should not need special tools to field strip your handgun.

Several months ago, I decided to purchase a second 1911 to serve as a back up to the TRS in the event it ever went down or had to be sent off for refinishing. After handling samples from just about every 1911 manufacturer out there including Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns, Dan Wessons and Springfield Professionals I ended up with... another Les Baer TRS. The feature set works well for my needs and the bang for the buck just can't be beat.

Here's a video that will make you want to buy a Baer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpdy8QQ-Y-Q

And a thread on another forum...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=53832

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was going to buy one of his 1911's and talked to him about it some years ago, but the wallet ran dry due to a child being born or something.

Anyway, he said to lube the snot out it and not use it for self protection or competition until you have 500 rounds through it...if it had problems after that, he would do anything to make it right. He said the break it period was crucial. I cannot say if anything has changed in all that time.

I also had one of his varmint AR's and was on the heels of some of my better turn bolts...not sure where he gets the tubes but that gun was crazy one paper. Won lots of quarters against other varmint rigs at the range with it.

Would not pick one of his combat AR's with all the other options out there.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=R0CKETMAN;1209379]I think this guy is FOS. If he really had five he'd post pic/s.

Dude,stop following me,your getting creepy!

DAT85

Feedback Score
    I have a LB PremierII and really like it. I have not had any problems with mine.
    RudyN

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've had a TRS some time back, it was one nice 1911. I'd rather have 1 Baer then 10 Colts
    Switched over to the M&P after years of 1911's - couldn't be happier and wish I would have done so much sooner...would have saved me a lot of cash. But if I'd ever buy a 1911 again it would be a Les Baer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast