Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the ideal length for a 357 for home defense?

Feedback Score

4" barrel

I have a 686 with a 4" barrel. I shoot it very well. I feel comfortable using it for home defense or as a walk in the wood gun. Like other have said more velocity and longer site radius in the 6" barrel. either would work as a home defense gun. I think you happy with either. For home defense you either use what you have or get something that is specif to the roll. I can not tell you what to use for home defense, everyone has a pet gun for the roll. You know your house you know the strong point and weak point of the best places to defend your home.

Feedback Score
    After a longer term use of my 3 revolvers, I prefer the 4" for defense. The 6" makes a great plinker.

Lifetime NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran, CDR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dont use it as such, but my 4" 586 would work just fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have 4" barreled 357s. If I opt to target practice or carry, it does the job.

I saw a gun that I want. It has a 6" barrel. What advantages or differences will I get with a longer barrel? Improved accuracy? To what distance? Improved handling of recoil? For a wife?

iPad/Tapatalk
    A six inch barreled revolver is to big IMO, great for hunting, but the improved/longer sight radius will be moot in a home defense scenario. I agree with those that are listing the advantages of a Glock, or S&W M&P 9mm in this role. Nonetheless, a .357 is well up to the task of home defense, though if I was going to rely upon one for the job, it would very likely be loaded with a .38 spl 158 gr JHP, with the optimum barrel length being 3" to 4", though I am also sweet on the 2.5" K & L framed Smith's, and believe them to be quite capable...
    Last edited by Denali; 08-08-12 at 21:54.

Feedback Score

I have a 686 S&W 4" 7 shot revolver. It is my HD go to gun. While I have an XDM 9MM for travel, the 357 is my HD choice simply because it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and I won't have to worry about a jam/magazine issue in the dark when things are bad. My money (and my life) ride on the 357 and I sleep very well at night with that decision.

Feedback Score

Proficiency trumps barrel length

The shooter - in this case, it sounds like your spouse who is not as an experienced shooter as you - must become familiar with whichever revolver she intends to shoot. I think that practice, comfort, accuracy and speed will trump any extra advantage in ballistics gained by 6" barrel. A well-designed and manufactured .357 round will perform just fine out of a 4" barrel. Experiment at range with different loads to find ones with which she shoots best.

Feedback Score
    For a bed side gun I like the 6" bbl length, but I would sure feel fully protected with a 4" bbl revolver in 357 mag. I like the big N frames for bed side and car carry.

The wife throws them all to my side any way and takes my Colt Combat Elite in 45 ACP and CAR-15 for her bed side

Normally I have more than one stashed by the bed, they get lonely.

Feedback Score
    I have the following now:

S&W Performance Center 627 5"
    S&W Pro Series 627 4"
    Colt Python 4"
    Colt Python 8"
    Ruger GP100 6"
    Ruger LCR 38
    Taurus 605 357 Snubby

Having something light and easier to get onto target for home is best. 4-5" barrels are maximum ideal lengths for home.

Regarding target shooting, I have found excellent longer distance precision with 6-8" barrels.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Wait, if you are concealed carrying a glock, then wouldnt a glock for home defense make more sense. Given finite training budget and time, keeping things the same would make you a better shot with both HD and carry.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    If I had a barrel length choice for a bedside gun, it would be a 3" K frame...I miss my old 64-1 K frame DAO. was a nice police trade in

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234