Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is RRA?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    Take a look at this slide show from Field & Stream:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...rms-ar-factory

It shows component testing, test firing, and hand fitting the triggers. ...
    ====================================

I think having to hand fit is a sign of loose tolerances and poor QC. With modern manufacturing methods, the parts should just drop-in and work fine with out having to "fit" them.

I have installed two Geissele SSA's and they required zero handfitting and have worked perfect for 5k rounds.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I'd respectfully disagree, I remember reading that each 2-stage trigger was hand fitted and that RRA was pretty meticulous with their process.

It shows component testing, test firing, and hand fitting the triggers. I know for a fact that my LAR-8 was test fired as it arrived 'new' with some light carbon and bolt-face brass marks. In other words, I'm not seeing a company that's trying to cut corners as much as possible.

=========================
    I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do ask that opinions are informed opinions. Like I said, 2 of my RRAs had serious trigger pin walk issues, which doesn't speak well about the company. I just don't think RRA is an absolute shit-bag company that it's being made out to be.
    I thought rra's triggers were notorious for failure and IIRC there was an entire thread dedicated to the issue on TOS. I personally didnt have an issue with my trigger on my rra but I would never own one again, especially when a colt or bcm can be had for less money.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No pics of the chimps they have cutting "extended feedramps" into their receivers & barrel extensions with Dremel tools???
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I have a white-hot hatred of manufacturers who fail to stake gas keys, based on watching the majority of our guns going down, during firefights with bad guys. I consulted our armorer, and according to his records, 100 out of our 150 guns stopped working due to loose gas keys.

Evidently the Department of State thought buying Bushmaster would be a good idea for their Poppy Eradication Force in Afghanistan.
    State Department people are getting in "firefights with bad guys" in Helmand?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Threads like this are ALWAYS Started because someone feels the need to justify what they purchased. If you own a RRA and love it great..... Please just don't start a thread that you know will get other opinions for the sole reason to start a shit storm and get all butt hurt when someone calls your baby ugly.
    Last edited by Tzoid; 01-30-12 at 08:54.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    Mine has fed Rem UMC, Win White Box M855, Prvi M855, LC M193, TAP 55gr, and Wolf 62gr. Ate it all, no issues.

Ive never measured the gas port hole, so honestly I can't say definitively whether it's properly or over gassed. But, the recoil is similar to a friends colt sporter

I run a fixed stock, a1 tube. That might be what is mitigating any added recoil impulse. I've read that the rifle buffers are much more forgiving than carbine.
    If your RRA has a carbine gas system, then it is over gassed (trust me). Yes, your stock option is helping with the extra recoil.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    To that end, shooting my best or seeing what my AR can really do, wouldn't I want a low mass bolt carrier, adjustable gas block and compensator? I am not into any of that and I don't believe you are into that either. I do have a compensator on my 3 gun rifle, but someone gave the comp to me, as I wouldn't have bought it.
    Depends on what we are talking about. If you are trying to compete at the top level in the gun game world, then yes.

A 4140 barrel in a semi auto gun really doesn't matter to me.
    A 4140 barrel is of course not the end of the world. There can also be another issue that goes along with this type of steel. Out of spec chambers. For whatever reason, every gun that needed to be reamed to 5.56 was a barrel made out 4140. Dean Caputo also talks about this in his armorer classes. So this is why I would stay away from any AR with a 4140 barrel.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-30-12 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'd respectfully disagree, I remember reading that each 2-stage trigger was hand fitted and that RRA was pretty meticulous with their process.

It shows component testing, test firing, and hand fitting the triggers. I know for a fact that my LAR-8 was test fired as it arrived 'new' with some light carbon and bolt-face brass marks. In other words, I'm not seeing a company that's trying to cut corners as much as possible.

=========================
    I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do ask that opinions are informed opinions. Like I said, 2 of my RRAs had serious trigger pin walk issues, which doesn't speak well about the company. I just don't think RRA is an absolute shit-bag company that it's being made out to be.
    Do you know which 2 stage trigger on the market has failed the most (meaning shot out the first stage and become a single stage trigger)???

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoid View Post
    Threads like this are ALWAYS Started because someone feels the need to justify what they purchased. If you own a RRA and love it great..... Please just don't start a thread that you know will get other opinions for the sole reason to start a shit storm and get all butt hurt when someone calls your baby ugly.
    Agree. I could care less if you own a RRA. Go out and shoot it! Take that extra money you saved and go to a carbine school with it!

With that said, please do not try and educate us on the "awesomeness"of the gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Agree. I could care less if you own a RRA. Go out and shoot it! Take that extra money you saved and go to a carbine school with it!

With that said, please do not try and educate us on the "awesomeness"of the gun.
    C4
    This^^ My first AR was a RRA that has run great through multiple classes with over 5,000 rounds, but I would never recommend one to anyone or say they are awesome when there are so many better manufacturers out there.

Can you get a decent RRA that will shoot well? Probably. I did I guess. But you will be wasting money for a gun that has been proven sub par, when for the same money you could get something much better. If you like your RRA, great. But there just really isn’t any truth behind trying to convince yourself or anyone else that RRA is just as good as a Colt, BCM, DD, KAC, Noveske, or any of the other high quality manufacturers. It just simply isn’t true.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast