Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is RRA?

Feedback Score
    I shot a RRA midlength at the recommendation of one of our local FPS/ICE guys. I had no issues after many range and training sessions. I had it sent to Grant for upgrades, and it came back even better. I then proceeded to get educated and bought a Noveske. No comparison. End of story.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    God forbid Rock River Arms didn't respond to the all-knowing rob_s.

According to your logic, the quality of a product is dependent on a company's response to rob_s.

Absolutely ridiculous.

And I have used the search button and came up with nothing about why

If you can't back up your info, why should I believe you aren't doing anything more than regurgitating someone else's opinion?
    Do you own an RRA?

Inferior bolt steel - Its not Carpenter 158
    Inferior barrel steel - Usually 4140 and not 4150 CMV
    Lack of staking on gas keys and castle nuts
    1:9 twist rate barrels
    Overgassed gas systems
    Lacking proper 5.56mm chambers

I'm not going to go into A.) Proof that these are correct or B.) Why they're important. Those can all be easily found with a Google search and lets be real. I know your RRA has "a thousand rounds through it with no issues" so you're not going to care anyway.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-27-12 at 06:33.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dmc12pimp View Post
    Nope, that was the DEA.
    Guess they ran all the GOOD rifles to Mexican drug lords...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Great rifles in 2003

Meh in 2012

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    ....Lack of staking on gas keys and castle nuts.....
    Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do you own an RRA?......
    Yes. Do you? Have you ever seen an unstaked RRA or are you just repeating bullshit you have heard?

I have seen dozens of these guns on the range and dozens of Bushies. I examine every one I can. I have never seen one with an unstaked gas key or castle nut. What am I supposed to believe, "The Chart" or my lying eyes?
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 01-28-12 at 04:55.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I owned one. I suppose I still do since I sold off the upper half to help defray the costs of a nice Arsenal.

The castle nut was loctited rather than staked. I discovered this when I swapped the stock for an evil one when the ban fell.

The gas key was staked, but with a limp wrist.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Bullshit.

Yes. Do you? Have you ever seen an unstaked RRA or are you just repeating bullshit you have heard?

I have seen dozens of these guns on the range and dozens of Bushies. I examine every one I can. I have never seen one with an unstaked gas key or castle nut. What am I supposed to believe, "The Chart" or my lying eyes?
    LOL, you pick the one thing you have "experience" with and call BS when thats been discussed time and time again.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They do "stake" their gas keys (I've never seen a Bushy or an RRA with staked castle nuts: EVER.) but they use undersized bolts and do a weak ass job of staking the key, both making it a complete waste of time.

Have you ever seen a proper stake job?

But lets put that aside for a minute.

What about the other points I listed that you conveniently ignored? You gonna sit here and tell me they have true 5.56mm chambers? Call bullshit on that and I'll be glad to ignore you, as I know you're full of shit.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Bullshit.

Bullshit on your bullshit. I've seen a metric shit ton of Bushmasters with no staking on the gas key, wrong front sight bases, unstaked buffer tubes, tight chambers, etc..

I have less experience with RRA, but the 3 or 4 I've seen have had weak to ornamental staking on gas keys, 1/9 4140 CM steel. Don't recall buffer tube staking.

The respected armorers I know say likewise.
    Last edited by 120mm; 01-28-12 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I owned a RRA for a while, a few years ago...and to my eternal lament, work on many for customers now. I will never purchase another.

-gas key was staked, but not properly.
    -castle nut was not staked at all, but locktited...yup, locktited.
    -substandard steels in their bolts/carriers.

while i do not care about people's personal pref, between 1:7 and 1:9 twist rates, over gassing is a big bad juju!

When someone brings a rock river to me to ..."fix" it is usually something above that has caused it.

FWIW
    Last edited by Shiz; 01-28-12 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    My RRA (was) started life as an ET. I sold off the upper at a gun show to fund a Midlength BCM 16 LW. The lower and all the internals are still there. I figured I would swap out parts as they fail. This hybrid is not my only AR.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast