Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want Some "Light" Advice (Pictures of what I want included)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Exclamation Want Some "Light" Advice (Pictures of what I want included)

I am interested in getting a dedicated light for my AR15. I'm not going to actually be using it because I shoot in the daytime, but I'm sure it will get a good workout when I play with it at night in my home. Main things I am looking for is how the light will look on the weapon, and how I can manipulate it.

• Want to have a push button with momentary on/off, and use my vertical grip

Basically I want to mount the light at either 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock and use my forward pointing thumb (left or right side depending on my mood) to engage the on/off momentary button. Does this make sense?

Next major factor is looks. I like the look of the lights that are seen on the Mk18 short barreled Navy SEALs guns. I would like the same light if possible. Below are some ideas that I like and need input on what these people are using:

Resq47

I really like this setup. I believe this particular setup is the same thing I am descrbing above? Does anyone know if this setup is what I want based on what I just said? It's using the solid LaRue mount and I love the way the light looks. Can anyone tell me what he is using?

rob_s

I believe this is the same light as pictured above? I like the light, but obviously I would be using mine in conjunction with a forward grip and pressing the button with my thumb.

Random Internet Pic

http://www.navy.mil/management/photo...-4374S-001.jpg
    Just a link for this one, because it is too large for this page. In the lower left you can see the light, I am interested, is this the same light as the above?

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please give them. This will be a major purchase for me and I would like to make sure that the light satisfies my specific requirements (ie light placement/proper model).
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Those are 9v 961 SureFire lights. For a cheaper similar light you could go with a SureFire M3 Combat light mounted in a VLTOR ring.

Personally I find them too big and too heavy. I had a Surefire 951 (6v) on my 10" LMT and it made the gun very front heavy.

I'll be rebuilding the upper on this gun soon and will be low profile 'shaving' the FSB to a gas block, using a 9" Daniel Defense Lite Rail and mounting a Surefire X200 or X300 at 12 o'clock on the muzzle end of the rail and run a LMT MRP rail mounted fixed front sight right behind the light. My barrel actually measures 10 7/16" so I might be able to use a 10" Lite Rail but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the DD Mk18 rail would fit too, but damn that's a lot of loot!

I assembled an upper just like this for a friend. His has a genuine 10.25" Colt CQBR barrel, 9" Lite Rail, LMT front sight, Colt upper receiver and Colt M16 BCG and PRI Gas Buster and I 'shaved' the FSB down to a low profile gas block and shortened it (in the front) about 1mm to ensure that it was completely under the rail, he has the Surefire 556K suppressor and mount. Very badass looking upper and VERY lightweight.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Those are two different lights, both are Surefires.
    Rob S's light looks like a SF-M961 Millenium series and Z48 or 49 tail cap with dual thumb screw mount.
    Resq47's looks like a SF-M971 Millenium series with a Larue mount.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main....00&carfnbr=135

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Main things I am looking for is how the light will look on the weapon, and how I can manipulate it.
    What do you mean by "how the light will look on the weapon"?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, that light IS heavy and bulky. Below is what that gun looks like now. Note that it is now installed on a throwlever mount so that it can be taken off easily when I want a lighter package. The light w/ mount weighs in at 11.6 oz so it's a big difference.

With all of that said, it's also very bright and has a good "throw", which is perfect for this particular carbine. It also wears a 3x optic, and is intended for use on more medium-range targets.

Compare that with a Surefire Scout-type at less than half the weight that rides on my SBR for closer-range work (bottom pic).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I am a fan of the 961 series, but they are noticeably heavier than other options. For illuminating at distance or from bright areas into dark areas, I have not used anything better. For a dedicated indoor/close range illumination tool I prefer something lighter, such as an X300 or Scout Light.

You may want to try the 951, less weight for a little less light than a 961.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I'll be rebuilding the upper on this gun soon and will be low profile 'shaving' the FSB to a gas block, using a 9" Daniel Defense Lite Rail and mounting a Surefire X200 or X300 at 12 o'clock on the muzzle end of the rail and run a LMT MRP rail mounted fixed front sight right behind the light. My barrel actually measures 10 7/16" so I might be able to use a 10" Lite Rail but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the DD Mk18 rail would fit too, but damn that's a lot of loot!

I assembled an upper just like this for a friend. His has a genuine 10.25" Colt CQBR barrel, 9" Lite Rail, LMT front sight, Colt upper receiver and Colt M16 BCG and PRI Gas Buster and I 'shaved' the FSB down to a low profile gas block and shortened it (in the front) about 1mm to ensure that it was completely under the rail, he has the Surefire 556K suppressor and mount. Very badass looking upper and VERY lightweight.
    gotm4,
    I'm very interested in seeing pics of this setup. Thanks!
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    . . . Main things I am looking for is how the light will look on the weapon . . .
    Next major factor is looks. I like the look of the lights that are seen on the Mk18 short barreled Navy SEALs guns. . . .
    I admire your candor. You're being forthright that you care about how it looks. A lot more people care a lot more about how their stuff looks than will ever admit it here.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It's got to have the cool factor 'cause chicks dig it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is my .02

I believe in purpose built carbines... With that in mind I am going to recommend a light solution to your query...

A few points:

- A weak light is almost worse than no light... It can do more harm than good...

- Unless you are fighting at bayoneting distances, with a select fire weapon, a VFG also can do more harm than good... If you really want one on your carbine, I suggest mounting it all the way forward...

- The purpose of a rail system for the Military is to mount a number of accessories that most non SF end users will never see other than in pictures...

If your intent is to add a working light to a carbine and still want the option of running a VFG in the forward position I am going to highly recommend the surefire m500a

It is much lighter than any rail / light combo, it is basically a M4 double heat shield design with a built in light, pressure switch, a constant on switch, and navigation LEDs. Its 225 lums will be almost twice as bright as anything out there...

It will also accept a VFG mounted in the forward position if you want to run one, and it looks cool too...

Again just my .02

Buck
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast