Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: M4 "Loses" Dust-test

Feedback Score
    M855 w/ ss109 projectile is a good start - though I thought that round came out in the 80s. That would give our military's opponents plenty of time to develope armor against it. Besides, wouldn't current chest plates stop an SS109? If we have chest plates in wide-spread use, its likely other States do as well. Moreover, knowing we use the SS109, isn't it likely that State opponents will come against us equiped to defeat the ss109?

Not sure what the answer is here. But whatever weapon is issued after these M4 dust chamber tests, I hope it will launch suitable armor-defeating bullets at a sufficient velocity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Armati, Where have you been? M995 has been the standard U.S. issue 5.56 mm AP round for about a decade. Wound profiles for it was shown on both page 11 & 12 of this very thread. Another wound profile after first punching through auto windshields is posted in another thread: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...0662#Post60738

I always thought it was developmental SAW ammo for fighting Russian APCs. That particular threat sort of went away about the time this stuff came into inventory.

I am sure there are 'certain' units that may use it, but I have never seen it in the wild with white side SOF.

The logistics chain is the logistics chain and most of the time you just get what the rest of the Army is using at the time.

Feedback Score
    M955 is available but you normally only see it in its belted form. I know I had access to it, however had break belts to get it.

We had Mk262 also, but since most of the time we had to shoot it was through a car, we stuck with M855 since it was the better compromise than a round that did good on flesh but wouldn't go through the cars and a round that would go through cars but was less effective on flesh.

Feedback Score
    As with anything else done in the Army, nothing is complete (to include M4 Extreme Dust Testing) unless the PowerPoint slides have been made for Ritalin-abusing career guys like myself.

Link can be found HERE

Feedback Score
    I'd like to get more info on the one problematic 416 from the dust test. I wonder what kind of problems it was having. I certainly hope it's not a QC issue on HK's part.

Tspeis

ToddG Guest
    The 416 had a sudden spike in stoppages in the last two test cycles, after the lat cleaning routine of the series.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The 416 had a sudden spike in stoppages in the last two test cycles, after the lat cleaning routine of the series.
    Was this just one of the ten 416's that increased the stoppage average or was there more than one with problems? The way it was told to me was that there was one 416 that had problems and that it MAY have been defective to a certain extent. Please correct me if this information is false.

Tspeis

ToddG Guest
    Tspeis -- I don't know the answer to that. I've heard from sources I trust that it was just one 416 that had the lion's share of the problems. I know from looking at the powerpoint (which I think has now been released or leaked to the public) that the 416's problems got really bad in the last two cycles.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526