Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best "rough-house" BUIS

Feedback Score

Best "rough-house" BUIS

So, there is a school of thought out there, that all optics/sights are to be treated like a precision instrument. Usually, that is the case.

But, what BUIS is going to hold zero during a SHTF/Run-for-your-life scenario and not just a bench queen?

The worst could happen, so prepare is my thought. There will be mud, trip-and-falls, rain, back-packing, hiking, etc. Which one will you pull the trigger on and trust?

This is NOT my YHM sight, it developed play in the mechanism that holds it upright. Throwing trajectory off. So with taxes around the corner ....

Feedback Score
    Fixed:

LMT, LaRue

Folding:

KAC, ARMS, Matech, and as much as I hate to say it, GG&G MAD.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd heard that some of the more popular folding sights out there haven't been adopted in the military because they break instead of fold when they contact something hard, as opposed to the ones I listed which have a detenting action but will ultimately give.

You're probably not going to use it very much if you have optics, so I'd just to just get a $40 Matech and put your money elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSWilson View Post
    I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd heard that some of the more popular folding sights out there haven't been adopted in the military because they break instead of fold when they contact something hard, as opposed to the ones I listed which have a detenting action but will ultimately give.
    Yep. I can't speak for Uncle Sam, but it is precisely why I personally avoid sights that lock in the up position.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    Best fixed sights out there in my opinion are the Daniel Defense. If you want to go with folders look at Troy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the LMT sight (or a cut carry handle) is the one I'd want if I was going irons only but I'd sooner have a DD A1.5 for a fixed BUIS.

I should say I use fixed for lower third co-witness on a RDS.

I only use folding BUIS with a scope or absolute co-witness with RDS and keep them in the down position.

for folding BUIS I have been using Troy. these lock in the up position. I'm happy with these but Magpul MBUS, which lock in the down but are free to move against spring pressure in the up position, gets high marks for durability and easy of use.

in the past I have used GG&G, and Midwest Industries and they seem similar with the GG&G being more durable.

ARMS has gotten bad remarks but I have no experience with them. Matech also has known problems.

KAC seems to be the gold standard...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I've had really good luck with the GG&G M.A.D. BUIS. My agency has about 200 of these in service currently. The only problem we have had with them is when operators forget to depress the detent when folding it down. It doesn't affect the zero, but does break the locking assembly.

The other nice feature with the GG&G is it is very low profile so you do not have to worry about it fitting underneath whatever glass you mount.

I also have experience with the Troy folding sight and the Magpul. Have not had any problems with them so far.
    Experience Teaches - Dito

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    When I think bulletproof, I think strong and simple... which (oftentimes) means fewer moving parts. DD and TROY fixed are probably gonna fill that niche best.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    I personally prefer Matech.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The LMT BUIS is the most robust BUIS I have used. Period. That said, I am confused why this is in the precision rifle forum. LMT's would not work well in that role with glass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run Troys, PRI's, and MBUS.....all folded down in conjunction with Aimpoint optics. Outside of reconfirming my zeros or occasionally shooting an iron sights only match I have never felt that they weren't up to the task considering they spend 99% of the time folded down. I guess I could see how this could be a bigger concern for anyone who funds the Back Up Iron sights deployed most of the time.

For fixed irons I prefer fixed FSB and LMT rear or cut carry handle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wahoo95; 03-10-12 at 09:47.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast