Thread: Mil-spec upper on old SP1 lower?

Feedback Score

Mil-spec upper on old SP1 lower?

Howdy,

I’ve heard that it’s possible to put a mil-spec upper on an older Colt SP1 lower - the SP1 has the large diameter screw-type take down pivot pin. Does anyone have a link or know where to get the conversion pin/bushing to do this? Are there any risks or downsides to doing this? This would be for a registered-transferable SP1 auto conversion that I’m thinking of buying.

Thanks -
    RJG

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bushmaster makes a Colt large hole lower to small hole upper adapter... It's like 6.50 plus shipping. In fact:

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_...s_p2.asp#NES06

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 22:21.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I wouldn't use the bushmaster pin. I had one lock tited in place and took trident concepts' advanced combative carbine course for 3 days. Half way through day one I was wondering why my gun kept jamming and looked down and noticed there was no pin in the gun anymore. Someone loaned me a gun for the rest of the day and then sold me a spare bushmaster pin on day two. I lock tited that - (didnt have time to let it set in) That pin continued too come loose and I had too keep tightening it between relays for the remaining 2 days. While we were shooting, I looked over and advised the guy who sold me the pin that his pin was now missing out of his gun. I bought a new colt pin from specialized armament since then - which is a little different. So far so good, but I haven't taken any courses since (so no hard use to check how good it is)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. The DD upper looks nice but I want to use my existing mil-spec uppers. Sounds like Colt and BM make a solution that should work as long as the screw doesn't come apart.

Thanks,
    RJG

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As already stated to use a mil-spec pivot pin upper that you already have with a large pin lower will require a two piece offset pin.

The big hole Daniel Defense is the best set up for your lower, it comes with a large .315" Push Pin so that you don't have to use tools to get your upper apart from your lower.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)