Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help IDing 12g round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Yes, and it drives me nuts. It used to be our slugs were red, our buck was green. Now we are getting red hulled buckshot, along with red hulled slugs, and grey hulled slugs. At one point we even had black hulled buckshot and something in blue but I can't remember if that was buck or slug.

It is bad enough for a guy to mix it up on the square range but my worry is for the guys in the field. Since the hodge-podge coloring of shotgun ammo became an issue my mantra on the range has been "feel it before you load it!", as in run your finger over the tip to feel for either the tell-tale bump of a slug or the crimp ridges of buckshot.
    I remember when the Federal LE slugs started coming with clear hulls, and the conflict it created with the specialty rounds that were also coming the same way. Federal was sympathetic, but wasn't going to change as the other guys were beyond their control. Folks using transitional LTL shotguns noticed it most. Especially under trunk lids on night shift. There were mishaps.

Curiously, when Federal launched their own line of LTL, they used clear hulls in their SSS (skirt stabilized sack) round. Other rounds too, IIRC. They figured it out quick, and the blue hulled LE slugs followed.

Buying from a single manufacturer and a single line helpds. I've lost track of what Winchester and Remington are doing, but Federal seems to have figured it out.

No matter what, check, recheck, and check again. With a buddy.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I remember when the Federal LE slugs started coming with clear hulls, and the conflict it created with the specialty rounds that were also coming the same way. Federal was sympathetic, but wasn't going to change as the other guys were beyond their control. Folks using transitional LTL shotguns noticed it most. Especially under trunk lids on night shift. There were mishaps.

Curiously, when Federal launched their own line of LTL, they used clear hulls in their SSS (skirt stabilized sack) round. Other rounds too, IIRC. They figured it out quick, and the blue hulled LE slugs followed.

Buying from a single manufacturer and a single line helpds. I've lost track of what Winchester and Remington are doing, but Federal seems to have figured it out.

No matter what, check, recheck, and check again. With a buddy.
    Unfortunately, we are way to far down the purchase chain to have any influence.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a standard beanbag round. The cardboard end is a give-away. Strange with no ID marks...
    "You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a gun alone"- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."
    - Roman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12