Thread: Buy a dedicated fighting shotgun, of convert my 500 Slugger? Update- Bought one!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Buy a dedicated fighting shotgun, of convert my 500 Slugger? Update- Bought one!

I have an itch for a shotgun to use for local matches and training. All of my current shotguns are set up for hunting. I am also a lefty, which somewhat complicates things.

The devil in me wants to buy a Mossberg 930 SPX and call it a day. However, I have a 500 Slugger that rarely gets used for deer hunting and could be used as a builder. There seems to be a limited amount of add on for the 500 though, specifically longer magazine tubes.

What are your lefty friendly suggestions?
    Last edited by jasonb; 02-05-12 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Comments directed at a COMP Shotgun:
    Yeah, 500's aren't set up to take a mag tube. You can get a conversion kit from Brownells which give s you a longer mag tube and the differant barrel to make it a 20" 500 model.

On the SPX. I would look at one of the non-SPX 930's like the HS. They cost less and can be set up just about any way you want as you grow in the sport. If you go that route add a Nordic Comp mag extension, the Noveske sling adaptors, and one of the over sized charging handles. After that shoot it for awhile, before you look at other mods.

If you want your head to explode with 930 information read here:
    Brian Enos Forum, Mossberg 930 thread

You can also call AimPro Tactical about having a 930 Comp Gun built. Mike's good people, but not much on this internet thing. He also works on shotguns for Jerry Miculek.

For an out of the box comp 930 look into the Jerry Miculek Pro series 930 which was released at SHOT. Not sure when they will start shipping though.

Shooting Wire article
    The versatile 930 platform features a dual gas-vent operating system which aids in recoil reduction and reduces stress and wear on operating parts. This 12 gauge semi-auto reliably handles 2 ¾ and 3-inch from low-brass target loads to hard-hitting magnum rounds. Standard features include Uni-Line™ stock and receiver design for instinctive eye/rib alignment; stock drop spacer system for customizing fit; drilled and tapped receiver; interchangeable ACCU-CHOKE™ system; durable black synthetic stock and forend; and matte blue metal finishes.

Performance-enhancing features on the JM Pro Series include Mossberg's extended tactical bolt handle; forend cut to facilitate faster reloads; oversized safety button; orange magazine follower; and protective barrel clamp for the extended mag tube. The 10-Shot Tactical Class has a 24-inch, non-ported, vent rib barrel with standard ACCU-CHOKE Modified tube; red fiber optic front bead sight; extended 9-shot magazine tube; adjustable trigger stop; and anodized receiver with chamfered loading port opening. The 9-Shot Tactical Class version features a 22-inch, non-ported, vent rib barrel with standard ACCU-CHOKE Modified tube; red fiber optic front bead sight; extended 8-shot magazine tube; adjustable trigger stop; and anodized receiver with chamfered loading port opening.
    On fighting shotguns. There are better choices of fighting tools availble if you are also shooting 3 Gun.

Simply swaping out the slugger barrel on your 500 for a 18" barrel will give you a servicable "fighting" shotgun, and is basicly what the Army issues, the Marines swap out a couple more parts. You can sex it up as much as you want from there, but a "fighting shotgun" is all about simple. Add a Surefire or one of the new Insight forends to make it more suitable for night time and call it good if you have to go the extra mile.
    I have to much time invested in the process to believe other wise, unless you have very specific duty requirements.
    Last edited by DMR; 01-31-12 at 15:03.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow! Thank you. That kind of info is why I come here.

Feedback Score
    go with at least a 22" barrel so you can get 8 + 1 for the shotgun. If not you will be disadvantaged. Or you can have a smaller length barrel and have your tube extend out which I don't care for if you have a choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went gun shopping today, but didn't buy anything... yet.

One shop had a Nova Tactical for $399. (Safety is reversable)

Another had the 930 SPX for $619

Another had; 930 HD for $469, and the Stoeger M2000 Defense for $409(Safety is reversable).

The Stoeger is interesting. I'm googling like crazy trying to figure it out if it's worth my money. Reviews are mostly good and there appears to be a small aftermakret for it. Nordic components has +3 extensions for $80. There may be some interchange with Benelli M2 accessories, since they are very similar.

Neither the Stoeger or the 930 HD have sights though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did it.

I bought the 930 SPX this afternoon. After looking around, it fit everything I was looking for. Some of the guns I was looking at were OK, and cheaper to start with, but when you factor in things like buying the tube extension, and a sighting system, the price difference became very small.

I think I purchased a very versitle weapon, that appears to be ready to run out of box. Can't wait to shoot it, and set it up with a sling. I like my Viskers sling on my rifle, are they as useful on a shotgun?
    Last edited by jasonb; 02-05-12 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Congrats on the new purchase, just threw the Choate PG stock on mine:

Feedback Score
    I've ben wanting one of those stocks for mine. Does it make the safety hard to reach?