Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    As for this individual versus trust thing, why bother with the trust? It doesnt save you money at all (infact its probably more all said and done), so whats the advantage to going that route versus individual? Unless maybe you're planning to SBR more than one lower...?
    Could be a couple of reasons, maybe your CLEO won't sign the form or maybe you wish to have the SBR available to multiple people (trustees).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Do these uppers and lowers have to be completed uppers and lowers?

I have a Noveske matched stripped upper and lower on the way, and I'm shopping barrels. Can I have a stripped upper, stripped lower, and NFA barrel in the same residence? No BCG, no LPK...just 10.5 inch barrel, stripped upper and stripped lower.
    Last edited by Hmac; 07-12-10 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Do these uppers and lowers have to be completed uppers and lowers?

I have a Noveske matched stripped upper and lower on the way, and I'm shopping barrels. Can I have a stripped upper, stripped lower, and NFA barrel in the same residence? No BCG, no LPK...just 10.5 inch barrel, stripped upper and stripped lower.
    yes, so long as you don't spread it all over the internet that that's what you're going to do, and dont invite ATF agents into your house.

the supreme court concluded that a collection of parts can only be construed as intent to build something illegal if the parts cannot be built into something legal. since you could build your short barrel and stripped lower into a pistol, you can invite all the federal agents you want into your home and talk about it on the internet to your hearts content. they might arrest and prosecute you, but you'd get off on appeal, for sure.

again, i stress my first point.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 07-12-10 at 19:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Ah fair enough, thanks...guess I should read the form before asking questions about it

As for this individual versus trust thing, why bother with the trust? It doesnt save you money at all (infact its probably more all said and done), so whats the advantage to going that route versus individual? Unless maybe you're planning to SBR more than one lower...?
    Well not waiting 5 months for the FBI to check your prints might be one good reason. Check the Official NFA Transfer Times thread, you might see a trend.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Going the trust route, with my wife and sons as officers of the trust, would mean that they could take the SBR by themselves to a location to shoot without me being with them. Should I die, it is less hassle (?) for the firearm to remain with them, correct?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe-bananas View Post
    Going the trust route, with my wife and sons as officers of the trust, would mean that they could take the SBR by themselves to a location to shoot without me being with them. Should I die, it is less hassle (?) for the firearm to remain with them, correct?
    Trusts don't have officers.

I won't speak to the rest.

I would suggest the reason(s) to go the trust route are two fold.

1. Faster approval as borne out by numerous posters in the timeline thread.

and 2. A CLEO signature is not required.

2a. Some CLEO's won't either from lack of knowledge or principle.

2b. I have an aversion to this whole process of asking permission from anyone for anything. I find the concept distasteful. So eliminating one more pencil pushing leach from the process is a good thing.

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 07-17-10 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Tried that link but needed to go to this page:

http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html

Buckaroo
    This BATF link below is actually from ATF.gov and allows you to open and fill out a .pdf version of ATF Form 1. It's identical to the current paper version that ATF sends out.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

Make sure you print the form front/back on a single sheet of paper. ATF won't accept it if you print it as two sheets. Also, detach the last two pages (form instructions).

The fingerprint cards are standard form FD-258 but the ATF wants their own ORI number on it - could be a problem if the local PD has their own ORI preprinted and don't have blank cards.

ATF ORI:

WVATF1100
    ATF-FFLC
    Martinsburg, WV

Feedback Score
    All this talk of engraving and such. What if you move from the city that you were originally living, the city that is engraved on your lower? What do you do then, you can't just scratch it out and start over. Was just wondering. I find all of this talk confusingly, interesting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by repps604 View Post
    All this talk of engraving and such. What if you move from the city that you were originally living, the city that is engraved on your lower? What do you do then, you can't just scratch it out and start over. Was just wondering. I find all of this talk confusingly, interesting.
    You engrave the city where your NFA item was "manufactured" not necessarily where you live. Although I think it would be the same for most of us. Where you move to is irrelevant to where you manufactured it and the engraving.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    Roger that. Sounds good to me. I'm going to do more research on the engraving thing. It just seems irrelavant due to the fact that if the ATF came looking for my SBR, they would already have the serial # in hand and the fact that my name, city, and state were on the lower would be a useless fact. So I guess in theory, if I engraved a lower in the method describe here, no one would be the wiser (visually that is) that it was or was not a registered lower. Just thinking on the edge of the box.

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast