Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by repps604 View Post
    Roger that. Sounds good to me. I'm going to do more research on the engraving thing.
    This is the government we're dealing with...what would appear to make sense in our reality may not in theirs. Rules are rules....please don't try to confuse our government agencies with common sense. The result can only be chaos.

If you're conflicted, you can always just leave box 4H blank. Then, IF you get your stamped Form 1 back you won't have to engrave anything. If they don't go for it and want it engraved, the worst they'll do is just return to form to you. It won't cost you anything more than a few extra months.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it already, here's a data point for your research FWIW..
    Last edited by Hmac; 07-25-10 at 09:22.

Feedback Score
    This is the government we're dealing with...what would appear to make sense in our reality may not in theirs. Rules are rules....please don't try to confuse our government agencies with common sense. The result can only be chaos
    You got that right. Unfortunally I know and see this all the time. I work for the government on the state level. Sometimes there policies are as clear as mud. I think for my peice of mind and for the future of my career I will have mine engraved. Thanks for the input. This forum rocks, lots of good people with good ideas.
    Some people are like concrete, all mixed up and permently set.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It won't cost you anything more than a few extra months.
    probably a couple extra days, not months... they generally call you and ask for a correction, when there's a problem with your form. i've never seen them just reject and send it back and make you start over.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    probably a couple extra days, not months... they generally call you and ask for a correction, when there's a problem with your form. i've never seen them just reject and send it back and make you start over.
    So, generally speaking if there are issues they call you? I was just worried that mine was taking a long time and it would be kicked back or something.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    So, generally speaking if there are issues they call you? I was just worried that mine was taking a long time and it would be kicked back or something.
    yep.. you'll generally get a call from the examiner, requesting you send in whatever correction or additional information she needs- and when you get that call, your form will be approved pretty much the moment she receives it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    and for what it's worth, i've also never seen forms get sent back for blank 4H boxes- including mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting. I wonder, then, if that actually does means IF one were to be stopped by an ATF agent..does the lack of anything in box 4H mean nothing needs to be engraved? Or would that agent still be looking for the maker's name/city/state somewhere on the receiver/barrel which is what the regulations apparently require....

Feedback Score
    If the ATF Agents were up to speed with NFA laws they would look for your name, city and state on the SBR lower. Your name city and state will be on the form 1 you show him, even if you do not place it in box 4h, so he will know who the manufacturer is, you and look for your name...

Not all ATF Agents are up to speed with NFA items/requirements, just like not all Firearms Dealers know the ins and outs regarding NFA. You would think ATF Agents would be but...
    Last edited by az doug; 07-28-10 at 22:58. Reason: minor grammar

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post

The fingerprint cards are standard form FD-258 but the ATF wants their own ORI number on it - could be a problem if the local PD has their own ORI preprinted and don't have blank cards.

ATF ORI:

WVATF1100
    ATF-FFLC
    Martinsburg, WV
    I believe the ORI is supposed to be WVATF0800, not 1100. The latter is for getting an FFL.

WVATF0800
    ATF-NFA BRANCH
    MARTINSBURG, WV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oops...good tip. That's what was on the cards they sent me - I'd better get out the white-out.

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast