Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mine flew with 11.5 inches for the barrel, and 27.5 inches for the OAL. "Investment and Collection" works best for all of the F1s and F4s.
    So that is the correct ratio to use when determining OAL from the barrel length? So if its a 10" barrel, then it would be 26.5" OAL, and so on?
    Amat Victoria Curam

Feedback Score
    All I did was measure my rifle length with the upper it came with (20" bbl) and then reduce the overall measurement to the length it's going to be with the new upper. It's a close guess, not perfect measurement, but as I understand it, once you have your stamp in hand for the SBR, you can put any length barrel on it that you wish and are within the law. Mine is still pending and I put down for a 10.5" bbl but I guess I can put a 14.5" on it if I wish. Anyone out there know if the law reads any different?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    awesome info. i wonder if anyone could do sort of a line by line walk through. i know some lines have notes that you can read to make sure you are putting in the correct info but it would be helpful to have something you could refer to (i.e., by folks who have completed the process) to ensure correctness. just a thought.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    This may sound like a ridiculous question, but why should the receiver be engraved and what would one engrave on said receiver?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphinvet View Post
    This may sound like a ridiculous question, but why should the receiver be engraved Because it is required by law and what would one engrave on said receiverName of individual, trust, or corp and city and state that it was built?
    Answers in red. Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    Live and learn I guess. I didn't catch that part of the requirements beforehand. Nickie Dudash has my Form 1 in pending ATM, so I will call her Monday and see what I need to do at this point. I should be able to do the engraving myself, since I have a milling machine and can do this type of work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Scott ,
    Thank you for this!If you have seen a few of my threads, Alabama Has a Bill going to the Alabama Senate to allow us citizens to get SBR and I was wondering what the SOP was on this ,because it Looks really like it is going to make it through and I already got the 200.00 ready for the day the bill passes. Keep your fingers crossed for us ..

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    should you list the shortest length you will go like if you are doing a 12.5 build, should you list 10.5 in case you want to go 10.5 later on?
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    You can buy a SBR upper & have it shipped to your residence legally, however, if it's anywhere around a non-registered lower, you are in possession of a SBR & "can" be banged by the feds for intent to manufacture a SBR. That's a felony. Your dealer cannot release a suppressor to you before your Form 4 comes back, right? It's the same concept with a short upper. So, no, you cannot legally obtain one before your stamp is returned approved. Do what you want & folks will tell you to have it shipped to or stored with someone else who doesn't own any AR's if you want to order one before your stamp comes back. Negatron. You're still in constructive possession.

Will your hatch be forced by the feds looking for SBR's with you not already having a stamp? Prolly not, but you've asked the question on a public board that's monitored by feds. I wouldn't risk it since now you know. Complete the proper procedure first without breaking the law so you don't have that on your conscience. Don't fall into the instant gratification syndrome of wanting a SBR upper before hand, like so many do on these boards & then try to justify the felony by having it stored at another location.
    I know that there has been at least "one" person arrested for so-called "constructive intent", but here's a good question. Say that I already have a registered SBR, and then decide I want another one and purchase a receiver. Since I have a short barrel on another AR type rifle, though it is registered as such, am I not in "constructive intent" with the second receiver since the other short barrel is in my possession, even though it's attached to the registered rifle? Good question for a lawyer and the ATF may or may not agree with them.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So is it true that whatever barrel length you specify you can run any short barrel on the lower w/o changing the paperwork (i.e. register 12.5 and change to a 10.5 later)? Also, what about silencers? Let's say I get a Form 1 for sbr & silencer...can I run the same silencer on my other uppers as long as they are on the registered lower?
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 02-11-10 at 19:03.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast