Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possibly dumb reloading question.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

possibly dumb reloading question.

just put together 19 rounds of ammo to try out my new lee press.
    used full length resizing die, factory crimper, cases are trimmed to correct length, and i followed the sierra reloading manual's recommended case size.

this is with hornady/midway 55 grain fmjbt cheapo bullets. i went by the recommended OAL of 2.250. mine ended up more like 2.247. seems like the crimp lies on the very edge of the knurled region (probably a proper term for that...)

this is going in a 5.56 chamber AR15.

Feedback Score
    Congrats!

If you want, you could seat them a tad deeper so more of the cannelure is buried. It won't hurt anything.

Just make sure you FL resize your cases, lube them so you don't stick them in the die, trim cases to length and you are GTG.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just watch out and stay safe. I crimped some ammo in and it went to 2.14 I need to pull them and reseat em but I am in the middle of doing 1K. If they get too short like mine make sure you keep them away from your other rounds. Mine are in my bedroom just because its a floor away from the reloading room.

I would keep it around where you have it. Maybe a little farther down if you want but seems like a good round.

Feedback Score
    What is the minimum OAL for .223/5.56 ammunition? Reloading manuals only state max OAL.

I trim my cases to 1.755 and seat the 69 grain SMK to 2.258

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Just watch out and stay safe. I crimped some ammo in and it went to 2.14 I need to pull them and reseat em but I am in the middle of doing 1K. If they get too short like mine make sure you keep them away from your other rounds. Mine are in my bedroom just because its a floor away from the reloading room.

I would keep it around where you have it. Maybe a little farther down if you want but seems like a good round.

If you're using a "Taper Crimp Die" (preferred) versus a "Roll Crimp" (which is standard is a traditional die set, you will experience shrinking of length. Always use a "Taper Crimp Die" for any Semi-auto cartridges. It should not shorten in the crimp stage!

The bullet you are using BTW is a very accurate bullet, regardless of the price. Have shot 10,000 of them with sub MOA accuracy. Loading at the cannelure is the preferred length given that your brass is trimmed to spec.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    What is the minimum OAL for .223/5.56 ammunition? Reloading manuals only state max OAL.

I trim my cases to 1.755 and seat the 69 grain SMK to 2.258
    For anything up to 75 gns., the rule of thumb is to seat the bullet to where it clears the inside of the Mag and you're GTG. There are no benefits of seating it shorter. Actually, the longer the seating depth, the more reliable your feeding will be. as the nose will contact the feed ramp sooner in the forward cycle heading off a "Nose Dive" into the barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    just put together 19 rounds of ammo to try out my new lee press.
    used full length resizing die, factory crimper, cases are trimmed to correct length, and i followed the sierra reloading manual's recommended case size.

this is with hornady/midway 55 grain fmjbt cheapo bullets. i went by the recommended OAL of 2.250. mine ended up more like 2.247. seems like the crimp lies on the very edge of the knurled region (probably a proper term for that...)

this is going in a 5.56 chamber AR15.
    Seat them to where you can just see the front edge of the cannelure on a properly trimmed case.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Seat them to where you can just see the front edge of the cannelure on a properly trimmed case.
    Not necessarily good advice. Cannalure position varies widely from bullet to bullet, and even within the same make of bullet (WIN FMJBT W/Cs for a good example)

I have Hornady, Priv, and WIN 55 gr FMJBT W/C right now, and all of them have the canalure in different locations. On the Privs, you can't see any of the cannalure when the bullet is seated. On the Hornadys you can see almost ALL of the cannalure. All of them feed and run just fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Not necessarily good advice. Cannalure position varies widely from bullet to bullet, and even within the same make of bullet (WIN FMJBT W/Cs for a good example)

I have Hornady, Priv, and WIN 55 gr FMJBT W/C right now, and all of them have the canalure in different locations. On the Privs, you can't see any of the cannalure when the bullet is seated. On the Hornadys you can see almost ALL of the cannalure. All of them feed and run just fine.
    Honestly never noticed this wih the 10,000 or so rounds of Hornady 55 Gn. FMJBT w/c I've loaded. It's all been within a few thousandths.

I gues it's always best to go with the manuals, or the max seating depth to fit it into the Mag.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    For anything up to 75 gns., the rule of thumb is to seat the bullet to where it clears the inside of the Mag and you're GTG. There are no benefits of seating it shorter. Actually, the longer the seating depth, the more reliable your feeding will be. as the nose will contact the feed ramp sooner in the forward cycle heading off a "Nose Dive" into the barrel extension.
    so as long as you can see the canalure, and it clears a mag you're good go to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast