Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: (service) Dogs in bugout/civil unrest/decay

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a olde english bulldog, basset hound, and shihtzu. they could all serve as an early warning and the basset hound and bulldog are intimidating as hell. my basset hound has scared off one home invader already. I got home to find my front door had a sledge hammer taken to the door handle and frame. nothing was taken however and my basset hound was stil barking when i got there
    Never trust a man that doesnt own a dog.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p22shooter30 View Post
    ground hamburger and white rice. ask any vet when your dog has an upset stomach and they will tell you to make that because it is very easy on there stomach. if you have some, chop up some carrots into it. quality dog food does not differ from human food too much
    This is good advice. I do this now, and mix it in with the dry kibble I feed my dogs. I fry the ground beef/turkey/deer/whatever in the bottom of a large pot, then I add the water and the rice on top of the fried meat so the grease is not lost. I usually throw in a couple bullion cubes too, and then add the carrots at the end. 2 parts kibble, 1 part rice mix when it goes in the bowl.

My Springer Spaniel and my Lab will def help scrounge food if the day comes that it is necessary. As long as there are any birds nearby, and I still have some shells, they will help put food on the table. Sometimes I take them out even when I am not shooting, to scout for places to bird hunt later on. When the spaniel realizes I am not shooting the birds he flushes out, he doubles back to steal and then deliver to me any eggs he finds in the nests. I did not teach him that one, never seen another dog do it, but he does.

A dog is the only animal other than humans I have ever seen that will sacrifice himself for the good of his pack, his family. No way I could betray that level of dedication and trust. My dogs fate will be the same as mine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a year and a couple months old GSD, he is babied he gets two raw eggs every morning when I fry my own. But he is awesome at detecting things if we have the windows open he can hear people running from across the street that I hadn't had the slightest clue that they were there! I also have him somewhat trained on finding stuff throughout the house so I am sure that with a little practice he could sniff out just about anything that gives him a trail. I also have him trained to check out noises in the house when I am half asleep and too lazy to get out of bed! I think all said in done the good outweighs the bad and I would definitely take him with me, not to mention he scares the hell out of people.
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

It's dog food?

Our long haired GSD is staying right with us, he's family that earns his keep. More than I can say for some relatives. As far as the food for him goes, he'll eat almost anything. I usually keep three months of canned food and kibble set aside for him. If it came down to it, his canned food is eatable, looks and tastes better than the slop I've had in some hash joints.

Feedback Score
    About 6 months ago my had to put down our 12 year old lab down. So he family sat down or say our kids sat us down and wants a new dog cause they miss having one so we are trying to figure what breed to get.

I have all kinds of dogs growing up my mother use to breed shar pei's, have had Sheppards and even a devil of a dog Jack Russell terrier.

We have narrowed it down to another lab, German Sheppard or a Alaskan malamute

Feedback Score
    Other people would be left before the dog!

In all seriousness, dogs would be a huge help in just about any situation. People and technology can be fooled, but a good dog won't. I sleep much better at night knowing that my dog will alert me if anyone tries to break in, but I can't imagine how much more important that would be if things got really bad.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234