Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (service) Dogs in bugout/civil unrest/decay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

(service) Dogs in bugout/civil unrest/decay

Just curious how many of you in a "Bugout" situation whether, zombies economic meltdown, food shortage, whatever your flavor of apocalypse, would:

1. Take your current dog with you.. and how would you provide for it.

2. What are some practical uses, for the dog in a survival situation.

3. What is your dog realistically capable of as far as utilitarian uses go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=cankicker01;1222039]J
    1. Take your current dog with you.. and how would you provide for it.[quote]

I have two dogs; a male GSD and a female mutt. I would take them if at all practical until such a time they became a hindrance.

Deterrence. Early warning. Food scrounging. Companionship.

See above.

Just a few thoughts....
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've thought about this too. I have a lab and gsd mutt. I would take them for companionship and the fact it would haunt my soul if I left them on purpose I actually think they would hinder me as both like to bark at anyone they see (could be good?) but I would rather keep a low profile.
    Last edited by xjustintimex; 02-07-12 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cankicker01 View Post
    Just curious how many of you in a "Bugout" situation whether, zombies economic meltdown, food shortage, whatever your flavor of apocalypse, would:

I prepare for my dogs like I do my family, so I have extra food for them as well.

Mine are hunting dogs with a strong prey drive, so they could help with tracking of hunted game, as well as providing for themselves easily.

See #2

There ya go.

Also, I have one that extremely protective & doesn't miss anything, so add guard dog to that list as well.
    Last edited by Stangman; 02-07-12 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have a trained Malinois who is part of my family's security team.

1. I have extra provisions for him and he's capable of catching his next meal if need be.

2. Early warning for intruders, protection against intruders, companionship, love and he's just an awesome dog.

3. Eating your face! No seriously, he's badass! I have no question in my mind that our Mal would defend my family's lives with his own under any circumstances.

For further evidence, proof and examples look no further than Will Smith's GSD in "I Am Legend".

Feedback Score
    I have small 15 lb. Italian Greyhounds.They're part of my family and will stay with us, they eat next to nothing (huge plus) & we have ample food stored for them as well. They're amazing sighthounds, were bred to hunt small game 4,000 thousands years ago it is believed, are lightening fast and can easily catch rabbits, birds, squirrels etc without blinking an eye. Nothing can escape them, they're that fast. They'll quietly hunt food for us & them, need be. I don't plan on needing to use many .22's. They're amazing companions & also great watch dogs. Where I go, they go. As far as I'm concerned, the perfect shtf dogs.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 02-07-12 at 15:07.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score

my dog would eat dog food or table scraps, dogs hearing is far much better than that of a human early warning as some people have said and my dog could help defend my family.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply guys. Kind of the answers I came to myself just wanted to put it out there and see if anybody had any ideas i had not thought of yet.... So anyone else out there keep em coming.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaver22 View Post
    my dog would eat dog food or table scraps, dogs hearing is far much better than that of a human early warning as some people have said and my dog could help defend my family.
    True, but not all dogs are accustomed to taking advantage of this. Perfect example is my wife's dog, who is clearly a "pet only".

Shit bumps from the neighbors and wakes me up in the middle of the night, the dog doesnt stir in the least and her snoring keeps me awake >.<

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a laid back pit bull/bull dog mix that follows me everywhere. Doesn't get too excited about things, listens to commands very well, doesn't run away and not really a barker. He is very friendly but you mess with him and he'd probably take your arm off.

Yeah I would take him because I view the dog as an asset. But thinking about my last dog I had that thing would have been a liability because it was almost opposite of this one.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Javelin; 02-07-12 at 20:04.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast