25 3.58%
  • Crye

61 8.73%
  • Vel-Tye

2 0.29%
  • Other

216 30.90%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Please be brief and factual with your first hand experience with your current plate carrier choice.

-What plate carrier do you currently use?

-How did you choose this make/model?

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Feel free to include picture at your leisure.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 02-07-12 at 12:30. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    -What plate carrier do you currently use? MC PIG PC w/ soft armor compatible cummerbund.

-How did you choose this make/model? After a lot of research and a friend who purchased one and loved it. The most important thing for me was to have a PC that would allow me to mimic my EDC of my belt mounted gear. The features played a big role such as the different CB's, split front, ladder rail system and the way the plates are held in place is simple but so effective. A little playing around and the PIG is very comfortable, I cut the top of the internal front pad to the shape of the plates and this provided a much better stock placement as long as using the double d ring kit. Removing the back pad made it a bit thinner and the pontoons provide adequate comfort and air flow. Will be adding the PIG Grunt pack but will have it so that it will QD from the carrier via buckles.

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses? It's very comfortable, modular, easy on/off. No real dislikes or weaknesses at the moment. The price was a bit high but after owning it for a bit it was worth every penny.

Last edited by MSteele; 02-09-12 at 14:29.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I posted this in your other thread as well.

Purchased an Eagle LE Plate Carrier w/ Cummerbund. I based my decision on price, reviews, and what was in stock.

I purchased it for a basic carbine class and SHTF/Disaster scenario. I couldn't afford to do the PIG and the Mayflower wasn't in stock in color/size I wanted.

It looks to be very well made, especially for $175! I've read good things on Eagle branded gear and I think I will be happy with this for the use it will see. I honestly think it would be fine if I was using it more often as well.

I have only checked it out in the house, but it went well with my USGG belt setup. Pistol is easy to draw from the belt.

Waiting on a few other pouches to finish it up for now. A PIG 2L hydration carrier is going to be mounted on back.

Quick shot of me with the Eagle LE PC w/ Cummerbund

Last edited by jamesbern; 02-07-12 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I chose the PIG after quite a bit of experience with other systems. I started with a PACA vest with the old velcro snap configuration. When that expired we went with HSGI Wassatch which is good, just over kill for my/our needs.

I did a lot of research and got the PIG. It rides high like a plate carrier should and is comfortable. In fact I have been able to reconfigure my belt by taking my holster off of the thigh rig. I could wear it with my duty belt without it conflicting. It is easy to put on quickly, unlike some of the other armor I have been issued/worn. I have not found a downside to the PIG yet. Plus SKD is great to deal with.

I use an ATS mag pouch, don't remember the model, that holds 3 ar mags and 3 Glock mags piggy backed. And then various other pouches for other things, like DD's, lights IFAK and so forth.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure if it counts, but Mayflower low-profile armor carrier

I wanted a scalable solution, from concealed with soft, to slightly less concealable with plates, to self-contained with attachable load carriage. I still don't know of any other way to do what I have with another brand.

They changed the design on the new ones and they are bulkier and don't fit my plates. Otherwise the current version is "better". I might consider buying one size smaller in the new version if I really needed armor a lot.

More here

ETA:
    I also tried the BFG LMAC. I REALLY like this carrier but again my plates weren't the right shape. If I was buying a traditional carrier, I would get this or look real hard at the new quick-release carrier from First Spear. One of my chief complaints with all carriers is that they are meant for pros to wear all day long, and are not often easy-on/off which I think non-LE civilian, and probably even LE, carriers should be.

more on the LMAC here
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-07-12 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BAE/Eclipse RBAV-AF here.

The same way anyone determines what equipment they prefer. Years and hundreds (probably thousands) spent on other gear, finding out what I like, what I dont.

Like: Releasable, good commo/hydro/restraint/sling routing through the vest, integrated hydro carrier, good release loop cover flap design. Dislike: Light denier construction. If youre not going to make the thing like a CP Airlite or S&S aluminum skeleton thing, make it a full 1000+ D. I have heard the side platebags also sagged a bit with the original design if one wore plates and ran with it on but I cannot replicate the issue with 3.5 lbs. 6x8" SA Ceramic plates. I would consider stitching a 2" strip of Type 7 4088 to the bottom of the outer MOLLE cummerbund to help support the platebag if this issue presented.
    Last edited by Pax; 02-07-12 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Please be brief and factual with your first hand experience with your current plate carrier choice.

Mayflower APC

I was looking for something that was "lightweight", low profile, something that rides high and doesn't interfere with a belt system and didn't have all the extra features that I would never use...something SIMPLE

I love how low profile and utterly simple the rig is. No frills. Also, for being one that is so simple and low profile (with no extra padding) it is actually very comfortable! I really can't think of anything that I dislike to be honest...I will say that it took me a while to get it adjusted correctly to my body (ride heigth, tightness, ect.) but I would imagine that that is how every carrier is if you're being picky about it....as far as the no extra frills goes, as long as you know that you aren't getting all the extra features like padding or a quick detatch system or places to route comms, wires, or camelbak hose then you won't miss em and see it as a "dislike"

Feel free to include picture at your leisure.
    Will update my thread reviewing the APC (link below) with pics so you can see it

Here is the link to a quick review I did for it a while back...will update with pics...Quick Review: Mayflower APC .
    Last edited by Ironman8; 02-09-12 at 06:07.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I use the BFG LMAC. The JPC is also very nice.
    Here is a pic of my setup.

In use:

Description of setup:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...&postcount=353

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Beez.... A slick carrier with soft panel is ideal for civilian use in my opinion. Discretion is probably more likely than Zombie slaying with a Modern Warefare rig.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast