25 3.58%
  • Crye

61 8.73%
  • Vel-Tye

2 0.29%
  • Other

216 30.90%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    What Plate Carrier do you currently use?
    Mayflower APC.

How did you chose the make.model
    I compared a couple of different models to include the PIG, Eagle,TAG and Crye models. I was looking for a a PC that was fairly low profile, easy to customize and modify when I needed to and wouoldn't break the bank. The Mayflower APC and PIG where neck and neck until SKD had there "Suck It" sale. I ended up with the Mayflower and so far am very satisifed. Definitely handles all of my needs.

Likes/Dislikes Strengths/Weaknesses

I really like how low profile it is relatively speaking. I'm carrying 4 PMags up front, a 3 pistol mag shingle on the left side cumberbund, IFAK on the right side. flash light and Multi tool pouch on the right side also. I can wear my handgun in a Raven Holster on the right and the PC doesn't interfere with my draw at all. I'm also carrying plate backers and plates front and back. The fit fine within the pockets and are very stable. Over all the PC fits fine and is very comfortable to wear for extended periods.
    I really do not have any dislikes so far. It's well built, comfortable, fairly low profile and fits my needs.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have been using a Eagle PC with cummerbund for about years now and it is great. I ave seen the ewer ones that have come out lately and see o reason to up grade. They really have not done anything truly new to the PC, except make it lighter. But that is not a big concern to me.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Let me preface it by saying that I am a civilian, and the only reason I got a plate carrier was because I got a great deal on plates (gamma III +) that DocGR tested.
    -What plate carrier do you currently use?
    I use DBT FAPC Gen II plate carrier.
    -How did you choose this make/model?
    The reason I got it was the price. Initially I bought BFG LMAC, and it was ok, considering this was my first ever plate carrier. However, I found FAPC Gen II on Ebay for 55 vs 230 for LMAC. Considering that my PC will spend the majority of its time laying in a bag, I felt that it was a worthy trade off. I also tried FAPC Gen I, and the Gen II is definitely better.
    -Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?
    The only dislike is the way it holds plates. I have medium sized carrier, and large, SAPI style plates. The plates are a little loose vertically in the plate pocket (about 1.5" of play). It's not a big deal, and the carrier still keeps the plates at the right location.
    It also has a nice cangaroo pouch on the front that can accept various attachments. For more details, check out military moron's site.
    Last edited by andy t; 02-08-12 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    Please be brief and factual with your first hand experience with your current plate carrier choice.

-What plate carrier do you currently use?

-How did you choose this make/model?

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Feel free to include picture at your leisure.

Thanks.
    -I use a TAG Banshee.

-I chose it due to good reviews and the Cost:Feature ratio. The 35% off on Black Friday sealed the deal

-Strengths
    Made well
    Comes with cummerbund ant no additional cost
    Rides very high
    Can be used w/o cummerbund for more low profile deployment
    I am only 5'7 and it works even for my short torso

-Weaknesses
    TAG customer service resulting from Black Friday fiasco

Overall a great product.
    Invest in the Shoulder Pad Accessory Set. They are tits.
    Can be used with the PIG Kangaroo Pouch Mag Insert . The TAG kangaroo zipper pouch is also useful.
    Not as padded as the SKD PIG, but I wear mine with soft armor underneath.
    I have worn this for a few weeks on 8 hour shifts. I wore it on an 11 mile hike. I am impressed with the comfort.

I still want an SKD PIG, but for the price you can not beat the TAG Banshee.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Beez.... A slick carrier with soft panel is ideal for civilian use in my opinion. Discretion is probably more likely than Zombie slaying with a Modern Warefare rig.

What model is that? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    TAG/Shellback banshee

I chose it based on price/reviews/brand. I wanted a quality pc made from a reputable brand and I found it. I compared it to other quality brands with good feedback. It was between the PIG, Banshee and I believe it was ops corp or something. I wanted padded shoulder pads, cummerbund, the ability to use soft armor and side plates. I also wanted it to be light weight but still have plenty of real estate. Got down between the PIG and Banshee. Chose the Banshee because I could get the optional shoulder pads from tag and sew on velcro and the back and attatch the pontoon pads from skd and still be cheaper than the pig.

Pros; light weight, highly adjustable, comfortable, use with or without molle cummerbund, high quality construction

Cons; shoulder pads split (but easy fix with tags new shoulder pads), non split front

Feedback Score
    *I'm a civillian.
    **I think people should also say if they have had any other plate carriers as well. For instance this is my first/only carrier so I don't have much to compare it too.

SKD piggy, with elastic cummerbund

Reviews online, looking at pictures of the padding kind've sold me.

pros-It feels pretty comfortable, I've been running it for a while now but only very recently did i get plates for it. Impressed with how comfortable it still is even with 10+ extra pounds in there. The split flap in the front is pretty convenient. Its nice to be able to keep one cummerbund attached. Ladder system on shoulders is a great way to adjust for all sizes and a good interface (i would imagine) for rig mounted slings.

cons-
    Cost- Pricey and i wonder if a TAG Banshee would have been "just as good"
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    What model is that? Thank you.
    It's the Beez Combat systems NIJ carrier.

http://beezcombatsystems.com/BCS-NIJ...er-BCS-NIJ.htm

Here's the front... It's like a beefy version of a concealment carrier.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Updated my post above

Mark: What soft panels did you use for that? How concealable is it with those straps going across the front? How's the quality? I've been looking for a rig like that as well...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Updated my post above

Mark: What soft panels did you use for that? How concealable is it with those straps going across the front? How's the quality? I've been looking for a rig like that as well...
    I picked up some IIIa soft panels from GreyGroup... I think the biggest panels fill the carrier, but I could check the size. I've not tried to wear it in a concealment fashion.... although any loose coat would do it. It's built well. Good material and velcro.

It works well with concealment style soft panels in a larger size than you run for a normal concealed carrier under a uniform shirt. That's what I liked about it.... it's a beefed up concealment carrier that gives me more coverage without all the crap on the chest that messes up your prone.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast