Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Tire Inflator Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Portable Tire Inflator Recommendations?

I am looking for a second (Better?) portable tire inflator. Attached is a photo of the one that I have had for 3 years: a BON-AIRE "Truck and SUV" (300 PSI) model. It has worked well (at least to top-off SUV tires), but if there is something better that any of you guys have used, I would like to know about it/them.

The BON-AIRE has an internal battery that can be charged via AC and can also be powered directly via DC plug. It has a Quick-Connect filling attachment and has held charges well. On the negative side, the On/Off and Power Type selection switches are not marked at all (I had to use a label maker) and the Pressure Guage (auto shut-off)is poorly marked and calibrated.

I am looking for the same type of configured inflator but "better". Suggestions? Recommendations? Brands to stay away from? Thanks.

Attachment 11094

Feedback Score
    I keep my Xantrex Powerpack 400 in my SUV all the time. Inflate tire, jump start a car. It's come in handy quite a few times for both.

I used to use it to watch football games on a 13" tv while tailgating back when I used to have Dolphins season tickets. I bought a spare battery and made a set of small jumpers running the installed battery and extra battery in series.

Also used it for powering fans after a hurricane and power was out so you could cool off enough to sleep here on muggy hot south Florida summer nights. Lots of uses for this little diddy & I've had it over 10 years. Can also use it to power my alarm system in my house for a week or better if need be under same power out situation and the alarm back-up battery runs out.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-XPower.../dp/B000157TP8
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 02-06-12 at 12:02.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've used a MV50 for 4-wheeling and general use for about five years. It works great.. Ron

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...552143&sr=8-27
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the comments guys...., the powerpack function of the Xantrex unit adds options that I may need to reconsider.

Feedback Score
    KISS...buy a bicycle tire pump. Car tires use the common schrader valve. The bicycle pump may take some effort, but it will never need a electrical power source; runs pretty silent (if that is a concern of yours) and probably cheaper.

I use my floor pumps pretty often when I'm checking all our car tires.

Feedback Score
    I have thought about a manual pump also, any idea of how many pumps to inflate an average auto tire with one?

Feedback Score
    I've found that for my floor pump model that it takes roughly 10 pumps for each psig. I also have better control over how much air I want to add...I'm pretty anal when it comes to air pressure in the tires.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can theoretically damage seals on a bike pump with extended use on things like car tires because the friction generates a lot of heat, at least on the smaller pumps. Just keep the o-rings properly greased up and in good shape, and stick with a quality pump.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCycles View Post
    I've found that for my floor pump model that it takes roughly 10 pumps for each psig. I also have better control over how much air I want to add...I'm pretty anal when it comes to air pressure in the tires.
    Are you in a high performance or precision driving application? For most of us, worrying about small tire pressure increments would be like a 10MOA shooter sweating 1/4 MOA scope adjustments.

Do you use a precision tire gauge to measure the air pressure? What's the accuracy of the standard gauge you buy at a auto parts, air-tool, or hardware store? Do you adjust the air for different ambient air temps, humidity, altitude, etc? Is there really a difference between 34 and 36psi.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Nope, I just carried over my anal retentive tire pressure from all my years of racing road. A few psi difference in your tires can make or break things when racing.

I normally use a quality digital gauge that has been properly calibrated for the air pressure ranges of interest. I got mine on Amazon. You could adjust for all the factors you listed below because they all have an inter-related effect, but I typically just check all my tires in the early morning before sunrise when the ambient temperature is the coolest (air is the densest).

I've personally found that a few psi difference in my Michelin MS2s can alter my fuel economy by 2-5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Are you in a high performance or precision driving application? For most of us, worrying about small tire pressure increments would be like a 10MOA shooter sweating 1/4 MOA scope adjustments.

Do you use a precision tire gauge to measure the air pressure? What's the accuracy of the standard gauge you buy at a auto parts, air-tool, or hardware store? Do you adjust the air for different ambient air temps, humidity, altitude, etc? Is there really a difference between 34 and 36psi.
    Last edited by CarbonCycles; 02-07-12 at 12:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast