Thread: Frying budget optics with the Ultimak...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Frying budget optics with the Ultimak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_mIW2rssw

I've seen other credible reviewers also run el cheapo optics on their Ultimak and mention thousands of rounds and 'no fry'.

Enter someone on another forum who says he's fried multiple low budget optics with only a 1-2 mag dumps - just a troll, or does a certain percentage fail given some heat?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    You'd have to transfer enough heat through the aluminum or plastic housing, then to the air and circuit board inside the optic, then get one of those hot enough to melt the solder on the circuit board or cause something else to deform.

I think that would be pretty hard to do, depending on what type of solder was used and how well heat could get to the internal components.

For a rough idea for solder at least, have a look at this chart.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good buddy of mine had a cheapo red dot on an Ultimak gas tube rail for years. Hell it might have even been that same Bushnell. While he didnt specifically try to fry the optic, he didnt exactly take it easy either.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Roger - relooked at the thread - the guy has few posts and just joined - likely a troll. I trust Mrgunsngear.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I had an early Primary Arms Micro on an Ultimak for a decade but it only saw a couple outings a year with a few mags each time. No issues, it kept working and kept zero the whole time.

It has a T1 now.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would think the vibration from the recoil impulse would be harsher on lower quality electronics than the heat. David

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I had an early Primary Arms Micro on an Ultimak for a decade but it only saw a couple outings a year with a few mags each time. No issues, it kept working and kept zero the whole time.

It has a T1 now.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Had a SAM7 for a couple of years with a PA Micro on it. Never an issue for me. Yes, kinda have sellers remorse on that one 🥲

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I think cheap optics frying regularly was a 15+ year ago thing.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    If there's anyone that can fry a cheap optic, it's the bubba AK crowd, who just so happen to own quite a few cheap optics. Bubba AK owners love mag dumps into dirt berms, meaning they love to heat up their AK's until they can light a cigarette off the gas block. With that said, I think we'd hear more about today's cheaper optics frying if it was that wide spread.