Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taper Crimping your Carry Ammo and "Murphy's Law"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Yeah...very bold!
    I'm familar with many of the recommended tweaks to get 1911s to run properly with wider ranges of ammo. I've not encountered this before.

In my mind, one shouldn't need to tweak ammo in this way to get it to function. Much less premium defensive ammunition, which should be as expertly manufactured as anything. That seems to be a gun problem.

I don't own such guns. I like to take mine out of boxes, stuff them with bullets, and be troubled only by refilling them, ala G21.

Educate me. Like I said, perhaps I'm missing something.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    .... Much less premium defensive ammunition, which should be as expertly manufactured as anything....
    You'd think so, but it ain't always the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I'm familar with many of the recommended tweaks to get 1911s to run properly with wider ranges of ammo. I've not encountered this before.

In my mind, one shouldn't need to tweak ammo in this way to get it to function. Much less premium defensive ammunition, which should be as expertly manufactured as anything. That seems to be a gun problem.

I don't own such guns. I like to take mine out of boxes, stuff them with bullets, and be troubled only by refilling them, ala G21.

Educate me. Like I said, perhaps I'm missing something.
    I've never encountered this problem before, so for now we're trying to diagnose it. Remember that this is something that was suggested to me 30 years ago, and it might be total BS. There might not be a cause that we can replicate. Kind of like when your car only "Pings" until you take it to the mechanic.

BTW...I've had 2 Glocks that FTE'd on occasion, so it's not an isolated 1911 issue.

I'm inquiring with Hilton Yam and Tim Lau on the 10-8 forum to see what they think. I'll let everyone know if they believe this situation and it's "guessed at" cause are even possible.

Feedback Score
    I just talked with Virgil Tripp from Tripp research. For those of you who don;t know Virgil, he is a truly "Good Guy" in the industry and one of the most knowledgeable on Mags.

To make a long story short, Virgil hasn't heard of the ejected case head contacting the top round case mouth in the Mag, but said that when the extractor slips off...everything becomes a train wreck.

After talking, and going over the ignition, extraction, ejection, and feeding scenarios 3 times, I suggested that the 6:00 "Ding" on the top round in the Mag case head could have come from the "Train Wreck" when a Class III "Double Feed" started to occur with the extractor jumping off the case head, and the top round in the Mag being jammed up into the unejected round in the chamber area (the top round rim against the ejected round case head edge), and THAT's when the "gouge' on the outside of the rim of the ejected case at 6:00 occurred. Sorry this is so "Wordy".

Virgil thought that this was much more likely. Brilliant!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12