Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New gear ideas and thoughts

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG Tactical View Post
    It's such a small area to work in that a zipper may not fit. I think you may have the best idea yet. I can split the panel in two. I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.
    https://3gunstuff.800cart.com/?produ...6&id=3gunstuff
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Frank observations from someone that gets paid to deliver this kind of advice:

ACOG Cover:
    Lots of bulk. Provides (1) thing more than just wrapping the Fiber Optic tube with a cut-away innertube. That (1) thing is the LED light source. Focus on that, and make it as simple as possible.
    Integrate that with an optional objective lens occlusion method and you will make a lot of COG users happy.

I am trying to cut bulk. Built one for the 4 power with an occluded objective- it was eotech fast at close ranges. It wasn't quite refined enough. I will work on that.

Heavy 6:
    If you want to make something to carry SF 60s, I would eliminate everything else. Those that are in most need of those mags are distributors of high volume of fire, and the option to go prone is generally appreciated for those individuals. A single layer of 30s on the front with 60s toward the side might be a solution, depending on the size of the panel and the individual user.

That rig was a prototype for a civie who wanted huge load capacity. I concur on the prone situation.
    That may be possible to mount 30's on the front and two 60's on the side.

Holster:
    An exposed holster should really have a retention feature. Given that there are already very successful, very proven holsters with those features I would focus on integrating those existing options to a better PALS mounting solution.

SMURF:
    Buckles on the front/top of the panel can be annoying, depending on ride height. There is a whole lot of material behind the mags and part of the system that doesn't appear to be necessary, which will retain a lot of heat and prevent wicking/drying. Maybe you have some kind of wicking/air circulation on the inside, I can't tell.
    The mag pouches are very deep, which is good for retention, but I would much rather have more mag available to grab with a removable retention device, such as a bungee with tab. What is the side pouch sized for? I don't see an immediate need to put anything on my support side unless it feeds a gun or fills a need. The pistol mag pouches, like the rifle mag pouches seem deeper than optimal, and all seem to have a cover, which slows the user from a rapid pistol reload, which is really the most critical reload for someone that carrys a side-arm. It also appears that the pistol pouch is attached to a "loose" rifle mag pouch, which will make the pouch floppy once the rifle mag is removed. Adding a hard backer of some sort to make the rifle pouch rigid will keep the pistol mag pouch fixed in position as well as make replacing the rifle mag into an empty pouch easier.

The heavy 6 has mash hooks on the front, very flat. Agree on the buckles, trying to find a solution.

The excess fabric you see above the mags serves two purposes.
    1: I live in MT and my winter gear would bunch over the mags making exrtraction tough.
    2: In order to time out the molle on the inside for body armor it had to be at least that tall for some adjustment. Maybe I can make a couple with just a little bit hangin out the top. Maybe an inch above the mag line.

The rifle pouches are very ridgid and stiff do to the kydex built in. They do not flop around. The pouch depth is not optimal for a beer can grab, but it was as short as we could make it and still have adequate retension. I am not mil so not sure on how much flap- bungee retension is needed. I can build a removable lid and have put bungees with tabs on some for a secondary retension. I don't like bungees or flaps from my experiences of night shooting. Slow reloads and bumping ammo up was a pain in the ass. However I am not mil. or leo so my opinions are moot. Rather listen and make a couple of bucks.

Most advancements in gear is in what can be simplified/removed.
    Agree less is more.

Feedback Score
    Agree less is more.
    If a zipper won't work in this particular design, instead of splitting the flap, what about using velcro "one wrap" from 1/2" to 1 1/2" widths.
    As you peal it to allow more light, it simply rolls up and velcro's to itself,
    It functions as the flap, 2 strips on either side of the opening to secure it in the closed position. thoughts?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    If a zipper won't work in this particular design, instead of splitting the flap, what about using velcro "one wrap" from 1/2" to 1 1/2" widths.
    As you peal it to allow more light, it simply rolls up and velcro's to itself,
    It functions as the flap, 2 strips on either side of the opening to secure it in the closed position. thoughts?
    It's such a small area to work in that a zipper may not fit. I think you may have the best idea yet. I can split the panel in two. I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.
    Been brought up
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Been brought up
    Different idea, If I understood correctly
    I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.
    Building a panel then adding velcro, increased bulk and stiffness. This is due to rolling the seams of the main fabric, I'm guessing 500 dernier? that makes the edges equivalent to 1000 dernier nylon cordura, add the stitching even stiffer, throw on the velcro with it's own backing, relevant stitching, etc. yup thats stiff.

Velcro one wrap has both sides laminated from the factory, no stitching, It becomes the panel. Dependent on the width needed.

FBG Tactical apologies if I miss understand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zodtgr8 View Post
    Second.
    People have been asking RCS and damn near every other mom & Pop kydex shop for MOLLE mounted holsters with little success. This has huge potential, and that Multicam Laminate is going to be huge. The only other company I know that does that right now is Safariland.
    We've been doing BOTH for years... ;-)
    These Pics are from a thread back in 2008-2009 era..

CXS
    Last edited by custom-x_sponjah; 02-16-12 at 13:19.
    Topher DiMauro
    G-Code Holsters
    Edge-Works Manufacturing

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    multicam kydex is a great idea.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by custom-x_sponjah View Post
    We've been doing BOTH for years... ;-)
    These Pics are from a thread back in 2008-2009 era..

CXS
    Where can I get one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Frank observations from someone that gets paid to deliver this kind of advice:

Holster:
    An exposed holster should really have a retention feature. Given that there are already very successful, very proven holsters with those features I would focus on integrating those existing options to a better PALS mounting solution.

SMURF:
    Buckles on the front/top of the panel can be annoying, depending on ride height. There is a whole lot of material behind the mags and part of the system that doesn't appear to be necessary, which will retain a lot of heat and prevent wicking/drying. Maybe you have some kind of wicking/air circulation on the inside, I can't tell.
    The mag pouches are very deep, which is good for retention, but I would much rather have more mag available to grab with a removable retention device, such as a bungee with tab. What is the side pouch sized for? I don't see an immediate need to put anything on my support side unless it feeds a gun or fills a need. The pistol mag pouches, like the rifle mag pouches seem deeper than optimal, and all seem to have a cover, which slows the user from a rapid pistol reload, which is really the most critical reload for someone that carrys a side-arm. It also appears that the pistol pouch is attached to a "loose" rifle mag pouch, which will make the pouch floppy once the rifle mag is removed. Adding a hard backer of some sort to make the rifle pouch rigid will keep the pistol

Most advancements in gear is in what can be simplified/removed.
    I built this last night. I designated the design as the F2S rig. VERY minimalist, and comes in at just under 30 oz. Holds 3/30-40 ar style mags, two pistol mags, and 1 pistol. Currently configured in a glock 17. IM going to try and shorten the mag pouches as well.

Taking your ideas into consideration, I ditched the top fabric narrowed the rig and slimmed it down. Secondary retension was also added to the pistol holster. With the two crossdraw pistol mags on the front of the pistol, I have used all available real estate. As a side: the pistol mag pouches have retension and the lids can be folded and velcroed out of the way. Of course a guy could bolt another 3 mag panel to the front if needed.

Thanks for the opinions Failure to Stop. Any other thoughts or critisisms would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The onnlThe only issue I forsee is shouldering your carbine and pistol draw at the current ride height. I've never ran a sidearm on a chest rig, so I may just be thinking out loud.
    Acta Non Verba

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast