Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 inch 686 Plus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

2.5 inch 686 Plus

I have recently acquired one. I would like to carry it. I am not new to shooting revolvers, but I am new to carrying them. What kinds of holsters are you all using with your revolvers? I would prefer to carry this thing OWB but can't decide between Kydex and leather.

Thanks, guys.
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No one? Okay...do any of you even carry a K or L framed revolver with short bbl??? (or any full-sized revolver)
    -

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    For me holster choice is not about the type of weapon that I am carrying but where I want to carry it, how long I have to carry it for, the type of function that I am performing with the gun, what situations or positions I am likely to have to present the gun from.

I like carrying outside the waist band and I use predominately a leather holster for my day to day activities. I know that I am slightly slower using a leather holster over my kydex but comfort plays a big part during my day to day carry.

If I am performing a security role, EP, PSD or similar, I will use Kydex for the most part as I may be more likely to produce the weapon in that role.

You may be restricted in the kydex due to not many manufacturers making a holster to fit that gun. You will definitely be able to find a leather on though.

Just some thoughts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I packed a S&W 681PC Quadport 4" for a long time. I used a Ready Tactical Products paddle holster and speedloader holder. Would have prefered a Comp-Tac but the mold was broke at the time. Cylinder bulge and overall weight are the enemy. A good belt, possibly suspenders, a quality holster and proper cover garment will make it possible. I prefer SL Variant speedloaders for reloads backed up with plenty of speed strips stashed like fire extinguishers here and there. Oh, and pics or it never happened!

Feedback Score
    I've had the 686 plus, 2.5" barrel gun on my buy list forever. Great gun. If it were me I would go with a Bladetech SRB (Sting Ray Belt holster) until I could get a Mitch Rosen leather holster or custom Kydex job made up. I haven't found too many Kydex makers with the 686 on their list of gun models. I'd be interested to see pics of what you went with when you decide!

Feedback Score
    My brother just purchased a 686 plus but with a 4 inch barrel. He has a leather holster, owb. I will check with him and see what kind he uses

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a Milt Sparks VMII for my 696 (.44 Spl. 3" barrel) and it has been comfortable for IWB. I was a little concerned about cylinder width, but so far I have not had a problem.

For a revolver I would probably stick with leather over kydex. I am not sure how much wider the mouth of the holster has to be made for the kydex to accommodate the cylinder, and how that would affect concealability. OWB I would look at the 55BN or the PMK by Sparks, or one of the many other quality holster makers (Alessi, 5Shot, etc.) offerings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree that as far as revolvers go,leather will be easier to find for that particular revolver than kydex. I carry a Mod.19 S&W 2 1/2 in.quite often these days and I either use a Mitch Rosen 5G slide,or an AIWB rough side out holster.
    I actually prefer the AIWB now for all handgun carry,but there are occasions where it is not feasible. You'll need a sturdy double thick belt.Width doesn't matter much.I like 1 1/4 in. for myself.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    pics or it never happened!
    Sorry, bro

Thanks for the input, guys. I have decided on leather pancake....now i will have to decide what brand. I have heard good things about Lobo holsters
    -

Feedback Score
    I still have a 2.5, 4 and 6 inch 686 revolvers and shot them in competition. I used a Safariland #29 lined thumb break holster for the 4 inch and put the 2.5 inch in there also to save having to buy another holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast