Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAL magazine SCAR-H conversion....WORKS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FAL magazine SCAR-H conversion....WORKS

I just had four new DSA FAL mags converted by a smith who's been working on this project for a long time.

So far they run like shit through a goose, including the 30 rounder (which was dumb, btw. it's about nine feet long). As soon as I get the go-ahead from him to post his contact information, I will. I don't know if he's ready to be inundated with orders yet.

I can't tell you the exact nature of the mods he does, but like I said, they run, and they do NOT lift the bolt catch out of position when there are rounds in the gun (this has been the cause of damage on some converted mags.).

I'm only going to use them for range mags until they really prove themselves, but if they do....hooo boy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    that's awesome, I never got FNs reasoning for the mag change, glad to hear it can be remedied.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You can't at least post some pics so people can see what it's about?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You can't at least post some pics so people can see what it's about?
    I'll be happy to take some pics, but there really isn't anything to see, they just look like a FAL magazine with the beak milled off and a hole cut in the side for a mag catch. The devil, apparently, is in the details.

Feedback Score
    If it really works over the long term, this guy will be getting more business than he knows how to handle. Just about every gun forum out there has people complaining about not being able to get scar 17 mags.

I thought there was a big agreement when the SCAR was released that a FAL mag couldn't be converted? Maybe they just meant it wouldn't be easy or cost effective.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by train of abuses View Post
    If it really works over the long term, this guy will be getting more business than he knows how to handle. Just about every gun forum out there has people complaining about not being able to get scar 17 mags.

I thought there was a big agreement when the SCAR was released that a FAL mag couldn't be converted? Maybe they just meant it wouldn't be easy or cost effective.
    Well, I know a lot of people have tried it, but this guy seems to have cracked the code. I just want to make sure, and make sure he's ready for what's going to happen to him when word gets out.

ETA: I wonder how many people started with brand-spanking-new DSA magazines, too. My guess is if you start ****ing with an already worn surplus magazine of unknown provenance your result might vary.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 02-10-12 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    That's really good news. I guess that's what happens when the manufacturer doesn't supply the market with enough mags at prices people are willing to pay. Is the smith going to do the mods for people who send in mags or sell his own mags?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    That's really good news. I guess that's what happens when the manufacturer doesn't supply the market with enough mags at prices people are willing to pay. Is the smith going to do the mods for people who send in mags or sell his own mags?
    The few people he's done it for so far have sent him their own magazines. I may tell him the best thing to do would be to buy a bunch of DSAs, convert them, and sell them. The thing is, they'd probably have to sell for about $50 for it to be worth him doing it, and as of yet we don't know what the actual reliability is going to be, except that 'so far, so good'. If people understand it's a stopgap to get some range mags and are willing to accept the occasional malf I think it will be all right. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm a tough sell...it's going to take more than the amount of rounds I've fired for me to believe they're "as good as" OEM.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If hes gonna do it he should soon. Once FN releases that first batch of 17 mags prices are gonna drop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m249saw View Post
    If hes gonna do it he should soon. Once FN releases that first batch of 17 mags prices are gonna drop
    Feh. We'll see. My order from September was just pushed back to March.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast