Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ak 47 vs. Ak 74 Which? and Why?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    Something else to think about. If you shoot cheaply with the 5.45 your going to have to clean you gun every time you shoot. That cheap 5.45 is corrosive. That's something that turned me off to 5.45.
    Not really. I have an AK74 that I have not cleaned in years after shooting corrosive ammo and not a spot of rust in it. Yes I am doing it on purpose and i do not recommend it for you, just saying, Your rifle is not going to turn into a ball of rust because of corrosive ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcibes View Post
    Not really. I have an AK74 that I have not cleaned in years after shooting corrosive ammo and not a spot of rust in it. Yes I am doing it on purpose and i do not recommend it for you, just saying, Your rifle is not going to turn into a ball of rust because of corrosive ammo.
    Wow, I just ran 180 rounds of Russian surplus 5.45 through mine yesterday afternoon, sprayed it down pretty well with soapy water when I got home and rust was forming in the nooks and crannies this morning when I broke it down to clean it. I guess YMMV applies here.
    "...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

"I had no real need to remove it, but I like to check out things to see why they're so wonderful." - markm

Feedback Score
    What'd you do to get the water out? Gotta use WD-40 or something to displace it

My 74 got some rust cuz I didn't hose it down well enough (I just popped the back open and took out the bolt carrier to hose it down). Got some rust in the muzzle brake and gas cylinder. Next time, I'll just give those a special hosing. No biggie.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I havent put any water on mine, no oil either other than on the rails. Shot it and put it away and so far NOTHING. I shot Soviet and Bulgy surplus. I don't know what to say about your rifles. Maybe I got the only good one. Seriously though, I have no idea why mine has no rust whatsoever. I just keep watching it to see. At some point I will clean it, I guess.

If you do flush yours after shooting corrosive ammo, make sure you put some oil on it though. I would also make sure the bore has plenty of oil before I put it away as well as the bolt, and the muzzle brake both inside and out. remember to wipe it off before you shoot again though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As to the original question. I really have a hard time deciding which one is the best choice becasue these two calibers really complement each other. I really like the AK74 for its soft shooting characteristics, it also shoots very flat. In short it is an absolute joy to shoot. The AK47/AKM hits harder, and yes mags are cheaper. It would really depend what I am using it for. The real answer is one of each, but if I had to chose I would probably go with an Arsenal SGL21 and then get the SGL31 or an SLR105 if at all possible. If you are going to use it just for fun though then absolutely, without question an AK74 variant. Preferably a Saiga or SLR105 and NOT a put together kit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234