Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ak 47 vs. Ak 74 Which? and Why?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Just hit it with the garden hose or stick it in the sink and run hot water through it. The corrosive ammo is not a big deal.
    +1 If you look at the chemistry of potassium chloride (which I have ) you find that the best solvent is... water! 900 times better than ammonia.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_diver View Post
    Are the muzzlebreaks on the Arsenals removable? I'd like to try the Battlecomp AKBC, but I thought I'd read somewhere the Arsenal's mb is welded.
    On a standard rifle, yes. The only ones that wouldn't be removable would be perm-attached ones to avoid SBR stuff - I don't know if they have any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_ArLover View Post
    Thank you
    YW, dude! Good luck
    Last edited by CumbiaDude; 02-11-12 at 01:14. Reason: Potassium chloride, not sodium chlorate - got my alkalis mixed up ;)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Awesome. Thanks for the answers.
    Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it.
    -Buck Brannaman

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution,or you're just part of the landscape."

Feedback Score
    I have both, if your just plinking and target shooting get the 545 ammo is cheap 10-12cents a round normally, without even looking to hard.

If you ever plan on hunting with it the 762x39 is a good cartridge for deer/boar sized animals.

Either would do for SD if needed. My 545 has almost no recoil, its fun to shoot. 762 x39 doesn't have hard recoil, it just has annoying muzzle flip. l put a jtac47 brake on mine and its much better now though.

I also recommend arsenal, or even converting a saiga. You can have a nice russian ak with a saiga for 450ish for a basic back end converted rifle. If you plan on converting the whole rifle fsb,gb,hangards,threading barrel for brake, etc, your probably better off just buying the arsenal to begin with (ask me how l know). good luck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_diver View Post
    Are the muzzlebreaks on the Arsenals removable? I'd like to try the Battlecomp AKBC, but I thought I'd read somewhere the Arsenal's mb is welded.
    The AK74 muzzlebreak is fantastic. I don't know why you'd want to change it.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaDude View Post
    Personally, I would recommend you get an Arsenal, whichever caliber you choose. The Waffen Werks rifle you posted has an American barrel (not hammer forged), and the Red Jacket rifle doesn't specify (plus I saw one particularly horrible Red Jacket rifle - my own builds were better quality). An Arsenal has a fresh factory barrel made on all the right tooling - you know it's good. No problems with keyholing from factory barrels.

As for 7.62x39 vs 5.45, it's a personal preference. I have one of each (that's the real answer ) but I haven't used them enough side-by-side to give an honest opinion. 7.62x39 has a bigger hole, but more recoil and poorer ballistics. 5.45 is easier to hit at range, since your errors aren't as critical. In fact, the 5.45 tends to have half as much drop or deflection from wind as the 7.62x39 (generalilzation).

They're both great, and they're both still in use. I wouldn't worry about ammo variety, though - 7.62x39 does have a lot, but 5.45 is just now starting to get new ammo out (Hornady's VMAX, for example). I think if you were to do 5.45, better to get in now than later.
    ^^ Good advice .

As a user of Arsenal rifles, I find them to be very high quality, and well worth the money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Owning both I'd say '47.

Why?

Because it's .30 caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    I prefer to have a flash suppressor.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 02-11-12 at 11:53.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    With a good muzzle brake and recoil reducing stock on a 7.62x39, I don't know how you could argue about recoil anymore. The weight difference between 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 mags isn't as huge as people like to think. Basing on the weights of AR mags, the difference would be about only 2 pounds for 210 rounds. For accuracy and trajectory, I'll have to give it to the 74 guys. Can't argue it's a more accurate round with a better trajectory.
    Last edited by Esh325; 02-11-12 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    But the AKBC is the best of both worlds, so to me the question would be why not use it?
    I'm not interested in good enough, especially if I can buy better.
    Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it.
    -Buck Brannaman

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution,or you're just part of the landscape."

Feedback Score
    One more thing you might want to take into consideration is the mag issue. 74 mags are harder to come by than 47 mags. Not too many suppliers seem to have them right now and prices have been going up. A year ago, poly mags were ~13-15 bucks. Now they are hard to find for less than 20 and there is a very limited selection.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdog1 View Post
    One more thing you might want to take into consideration is the mag issue. 74 mags are harder to come by than 47 mags. Not too many suppliers seem to have them right now and prices have been going up. A year ago, poly mags were ~13-15 bucks. Now they are hard to find for less than 20 and there is a very limited selection.
    Truth. I got into '74s back in '04 after the AWB sunset. I bought '74 NIB never issued Bulgarian "circle 10" mil-spec mags for under $5.00 a pop.

I still have boxes of mags unopened.

These days you'll be lucky if you can find them and when you do there $30-$40.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast