Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could Detroit be the first of many cities

Feedback Score
    You can add Baltimore to the list.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sharia and 2200 % self defense

I find it interesting that the citizens are standing up and taking care of business. Good on them.

I also find it interesting that that city has the highest population of Musliums in the US and is actively practicing Sharia law within the community.

Wonder if there is a link?

Dirk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Muslim/Sharia thing might have some kind of influence.
    But the absolute main commom factor in the downfall of all these cities...is LIBERALISM, period.
    Cradle to grave money and benefits, from free medical care, to foodstamps, to free rent/subsidized housing, free EVERY****INGTHING...early parole, letting felons out because the jails are "too crowded", I could go on and on, yall know the rest.
    These cities have for about 50 years now, continually taken from hardworking taxpayers and given to the lowest form of human scum known. They have continually encouraged illegitimate/out of wedlock births. These children are fed on the taxpayer dime from birth to adulthood, then much further when they have kids at 12-15-16 years old.
    Couple that with the insane anti-2ndA laws, prosecuting people for decades for defending themselves, taking firearms from lawful people, never from the dregs of society.
    Im glad people are finally waking up, but its too late, theyve voted for 50 years for the very ****s who have caused the problem in the first place. So I say **** EM. Reap what you have sown, you lib bastards.
    Serves every ****in one of you right.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-12-12 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    Detroit IS different, in many ways.

We're lucky that at least guns aren't severely restricted here, unlike many other major cities.

The issue isn't so much just a couple singular issues like many other cities, either...it's not that the much of the general population doesn't give a **** and resorts to crime on a daily basis...it's not that the police are wildly overwhelmed...it's not that those in charge are incompetent....it's ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Detroit literally takes every problem every major city has and combines it. Local politicians should be institutionalized. The shit they say and do would put you in the crazy house anywhere else in the country. It's beyond repair...yeah the joke is to just bulldoze everything South of 8 mile, or build a huge ass wall and make it "Escape From Detroit", but at the end of the day it's really not that funny because that's probably the only solution that will do anything.

That being said it's not a complete loss, and there's still quite a few places I like to frequent downtown. It's quite sad...there's a lot of culture in Detroit (well, what's left...) and it really could be a great city.

I like driving through Detroit late at night...no traffic, get to see just how bad it really is. Plenty of buildings with 2 or less walls still standing...in many areas the number of buildings in ruins far outnumbers those still standing...and that's not even throwing in the buildings that are vacant just haven't fallen over yet.

And while I didn't live through it, things really went bad after the riots in the late 60's (67?) then the white flight, then a pretty stead diet of stupid ass politicians making bad decisions. Corruption, greed and scandal has been the name of the game for at least a good 40 years.

ETA - the general decline of US manufacturing and the Big 3 in financial ruins didn't help things, either. Unemployment in Detroit (and Michigan in general) was pretty awful for a while, and it's still pretty awful in Detroit.
    Last edited by Joeywhat; 02-12-12 at 01:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

RobRyan Nice cruiser

We have one a 1979 lifted with the stock motor Headers carb and new electric ignition. Don't drive it much in fact it's full of 5 gallon buckes of wheat beans barley and dried apples for storage right now.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    We have one a 1979 lifted with the stock motor Headers carb and new electric ignition. Don't drive it much in fact it's full of 5 gallon buckes of wheat beans barley and dried apples for storage right now.

Dirk
    My fj40 is a 1979 also I used to take it off road and a few year back I started to refurbish it.

Feedback Score
    Everything everyone has written in these posts is true. Detroit is a shithole and it's never coming back from the dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robryan View Post
    Well first what happened to Detroit, was it the Major industries moving out and why did they move out, Unions,Political or they did not modernize or all of the above, and when did the crime waves start.
    Like to know from some one who has lived through it, was it rapid or did it just slowly happen and I would be interested in what happened to the people that remained as compared to the ones that moved out.
    Detroit has been a bad place to live as long as I can remember. I don't know what actually caused the fall, but there were riots in 1967 and I don't think the city ever recovered.

Add in corrupt politicians. I mean really corrupt. Some have even done time in prison.

Cutting of the police force, even when the crime rate has never declined. Detroit is commonly referred to as Murder City, and is listed as one of the most violent cities in America. Every year.

I remember when I was in Baghdad my brother emailed me a news article that listed more homicides in Detroit that month than troops KIA in the Iraqi War that month.

IMO the city is too far gone to ever recover.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So HAS AMERICA.

Feedback Score
    We are a far less moral people than we were in the last great depression, so I see things getting pretty bad over the next few years. Make no mistake, we are seeing what appears to be a slight recovery that is really just another fed manipulated boom, but that is going to go away within a year at the most and we will be back to a rotten economy.

I know I definitely don't want to be near any large cities now, or especially in the next few years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast