Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AimPoint PRO on PS90

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AimPoint PRO on PS90

Tax return in hand, it's time to buy another rifle that I have absolutely no need for. this time it is going to be a triple rail PS90.

so the question is, is the AimPoint pro with the base mount a good fit, or is the Larue mount worth the extra +/- $100?

part #2 - is the AimPoint H1 with the low Larue a better fit?

I have no experience with AimPoints sights, but they have a great reputation and I am pretty sold on the AimPoint on PS90, I just need to figure out what specific path to take regarding the sight type and mount type.

Please move this thread to the optics forum if that is a better place for questions like this.

thanks,
    -Eric

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Which ever way you go would be good. The H1 with the low mount would be lightest. The ones I shot had a Comp M2 or M3 on them with a low mount.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Without getting into the issues regarding the PS90's effectiveness as a fighting gun, the Micro Aimpoints are definitely the best match for the platform.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am under no illusions on what the PS90 (or rather the 5.7x28) can or cannot do.

I want one for 2 reasons
    1) I think they are cool, and interesting solution to a problem that may not exist.
    2) I'd like to spend more time with my wife shooting, specifically rifle shooting. she is 4'11" and very, very recoil adverse. she is also a lefty. when she has shot my S&W M&P22 she's had hot brass hit her, which didn't go over very well. She also doesn't like the recoil on my SCAR or ARs. I don't expect her to ever do carbine classes or local 3 gun with me, but I'd like her to feel comfortable shooting with me at the range or her folks' house (farm in southern MN with a nicely built range - gotta love Bobcats).

so my thoughts are I can go the route of the PS90, or try to find a lefty .22 (I know they exist). but if I go the lefty 22 route I end up with an oddball of a rifle, and something that doesn't fullfill goal #1!

plus, the 5.7x28 has a lot more energy than a .22 in the event we are attacked by rabid skunks or raccoons.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    Without getting into the issues regarding the PS90's effectiveness as a fighting gun, the Micro Aimpoints are definitely the best match for the platform.
    Most definitely, I have a micro on mine. I wouldn't want anything bigger, it's a small rifle.

Feedback Score
    Agree on the Micro due to size & weight considerations.
    The Larue QD mount worked out well on my Tri-Rail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It sounds like a wonderful fit for her then. Good enough for defense and shooting for her. The micro is a much better fit for the PS90 IMHO. My GF wants one as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    well, the PS90 came home with me today - I found one at a local Gander Mountain for under $1500 - apparently they are getting out of black rifles to focus more on purely hunting stuff... not sure what that means.

I think against the advice offered here I am going to go with the PRO if I can find one in town. I know I am going to get some heat for whatever I spend, so less is better in this case! I could buy an off brand, but I tired of buying less than good gear a long time ago.

and worst case scenario, I've got a Marlin 45/70 that would be a great fit for the PRO if I decide to go with the Micro in the future.

oh, and there is definitely a stop to the jewelry store for some diamond studs I think... that aught to cool off the looks I get when I bring home another expensive toy and explain why my expensive rifle doesn't come with any sights....

oh, and then I'll need to explain that I don't have reloading gear in 5.7x28 yet, and in fact Dillon doesn't make a conversion for my 650XL.... that'll be fun
    Last edited by trigeek37; 02-12-12 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'd go for the H1. Much smaller & lighter...should be a way better match.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    Without getting into the issues regarding the PS90's effectiveness as a fighting gun...
    Not to derail the thread here, but I think the Fort Hood terrorist proved the lethality of the cartridge...
    Last edited by Ark1443; 02-13-12 at 05:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast