Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid AK question: Cheek weld of folding stocks?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    GlockWRX, I don't know how cold it gets where you are but the skeleton stock can be tough to take on your face. The folding poly is your best bet if you are dead-set on a folder.
    Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't get too cold up here, but I have been shooting when it's in the teens. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still checking the AK out and seeing whats out there. I've been AR only for so long I've got to relearn a lot of things.

Do the folding poly stocks lock up pretty tight? Any wobble issues?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't get too cold up here, but I have been shooting when it's in the teens. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still checking the AK out and seeing whats out there. I've been AR only for so long I've got to relearn a lot of things.

Rock solid. You wouldn't know they fold unless you were shown how to fold them.

They act just like a fixed stock until you hit the release. Same for the triangular steel AKS stock.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    They are probably the best folding stock design, right up there with the Daewoo and the SiG. No wobble, all the benefits of a solid and will fit in a smaller space on your ATV!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    They are probably the best folding stock design, right up there with the Daewoo and the SiG. No wobble, all the benefits of a solid and will fit in a smaller space on your ATV!

That's what I'm looking for. Folds up nice, but doesn't compromise performance. I've got to keep skulking around the local shops and find a couple of examples I can fiddle with.

Of course, if I catch Red Dawn on the TV one more time, I'll probably buy the first AK I can find.

Thanks for the info gents. You've embiggened my knowledge considerably.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    ------ Wolverines!!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Arsenal, Inc. SLR-107CR would probably fill the bill nicely:

It may be more than you were looking to spend, especilly if you go the SBR route - however custom adding a folding stock to a non-folding receiver can get costly as well.

Something to consider.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Russian/Bulgarian Polymer sidefolders are the best folding stock available for the AK (IMHO). It isn't the best design IMHO (if you use side rail optics), and the only way to get one on an AK is to either buy a modified receiver, or have someone modify your receiver.

However like most good Russian designs, it works, it is rugged, it is comfortable, it is Russian-proof.

Robinson was planning on making the original XCR folders for AK's, but that never materialized. Those would have kicked some major ass and he would have all but cornered the market.

One good stock that isn't made/imported anymore is the bakelite/steel chinese side folder. Nice piece of hardware.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I would love to see Arsenal come out with an AK103 style clone - I think it would be called the SLR107FR if you follow their naming trends. That would get you exactly what you want. Templar (aka the MAN when it comes to AKs) can probably confirm or deny that Arsenal is not planning on bringing that model to the market anytime soon. The rumor on various boards is that Arsenal is delaying/canceling that model. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it did come out.

But back to your original question:

As far as stock options - I like the folding polymer the best. It is the absolute best of both worlds. It is as solid and comfortable as a fixed stock but as compact as a folding stock. They lock up tight in the open and folded position. The one underfolder I have shot was much less comfortable but underfolders are awesome looking guns.

PROS:
    Solid
    Comfortable
    Interchangeable with metal triangle stocks

CONS:
    Side mounting optics is more difficult
    Only available in Warsaw length (shorter stock length)
    If not originally designed for the gun it is an expensive proposition to get it modified to mount.

I have seen the SLR107CRs advertised for $750ish (or $899 with the barrel hiding flash hider) - expensive for an AK but worth it in my books to get a non-kit built gun from a "real" AK factory. With what's available right now that would be MY choice for your requirements...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I like the SLR-107CR with the special edition brake. Is that brake actually functional or it only cosmetic? I see AK-USA has something similar with a permanently attached brake (AK-105). How does the AK-USA product compare to the Arsenals? Anyone know an approximate price?

Spooky, I'm with you. The SLR-107F would be the dream gun for me I think. Comes with a folder that could be easliy switched over to a triangular stock (I assume). In fact, one of the main reasons I even started to think about the AK was all the buzz around the SLR-106F. That's a nice rifle, but I'd prefer something in 7.62, mainly because it's cheaper (at least for now).

Unfortunately, I don't live in an SBR state so I'm stuck with the 16" guns. Budget wise, I would like the whole project, including about 5 or so good mags to come in under a grand.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Under $1K, go with the Arsenal Inc.

Hopefully they'll have a full size SLR-107FR out in '08. Basically a clone of the AK-103.

Hopefully.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast