Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical/Hunting rifle and scope rings

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Scope is either Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 or 1.75-6 (haven't decided 100% yet) but in either case the largest OD is 1.6".

Rifle is a Winchester M70 Featherweight Compact.

No need for MOA, fancy solutions, QD, etc. I need inexpensive, strong, light. Nothing fancy. This is NOT a sniper/precision rifle it's a basic, lightweight, hunting rifle.
    Anxious to see this come together. I love the sport-utility bolt gun concept.

I lose a chunk of velocity out of my 16" barrel. I think my next one will be a 20".
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Anxious to see this come together. I love the sport-utility bolt gun concept.

I lose a chunk of velocity out of my 16" barrel. I think my next one will be a 20".
    Will be taking Randy Cain's Practical Rifle with this gun next month. Writing it up for SWAT too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Get the Talley steel bases with the removable steel Talley low rings. I like the screw detachable ones for a sleek, non-snag mount. And the screw can be replaced with a screw in lever that allows quicker dismounting, should that be important to you. The low variety will mount the scopes you mentioned or even one with a 42 mm. ojective.

Avoid windage screw bases as marketed by Leupold and others...think Murphy's law.

Here's an old M-8 Leupold 6x42 mm. with the Talleys on a Model 70 Sporter .30-06 in a fiberglass McMillan stock.

Last edited by JStor; 02-16-12 at 18:24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12