Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tactical" Pen....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The "Tactical" Pen....

I guess this is the right section for such a discussion?

We can all agree no doubt, the name is silly, but that's what they seem to get called as it sells better then "really tough" pen or what have you.

I'm sure you have all seen them. I have been sent one for review, and wanted to discuss what legit role one might play, vs just owning one and thinking it's a Tact-cool item.

To start, not a "I would never pay that for a pen" discussion please. To each his own there. OK?

Obviously what you get is a pen that is damn near indistructable and another potential weapon to strike with or stab with. For the LEO for example- who of course have a pen in their hand a lot - possibly the tool already in your hand you can use to strike with in a pinch?

Anyone own one? What are you thoughts on legit, vs mall ninja, uses for such an item? A tool in the tool box for some or just the goofiest invention since the Shake Weight?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't own one, but was thinking of giving my wife one. She travels a lot, and something she can jab into an attacker appeals to me.

Anyone know if TSA allows you to fly with these?
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i think you already covered it - a potential weapon to stab or strike with (or write with) that's more robust than your normal, everyday plastic pen. as for whether that's really needed, i'm not sure.
    any pen or pencil can be used to stab, while the thicker ones like sharpies can be used more like yawaras. i saw a martial arts demo where a wide point sharpie was used as a yawara on pressure points and also to strike joints, and it was pretty effective.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOWT View Post
    I don't own one, but was thinking of giving my wife one. She travels a lot, and something she can jab into an attacker appeals to me.

Seems to be a mixed bag, similar to a lot of what TSA does.

I know people who have flown with such pens. Have not heard of anyone being held up by TSA/having to leave the pen behind due to TSA, but that don't mean it can't happen.

My favorite TSA story is the GF used to fly back and forth from KS to Boston with knitting needles. They were 12" or so long, solid aluminum, and sharp as hell, and you could really fu&% someone up with those things. They made her leave her nail clippers, never, not once, said a thing about the knitting needles.

A person with one of those knitting needles in each hand would take out person with box cutters 19 out of 20 times. Yikes.

My guess is, probably GTG on the pen, but I'm sure it depends on how evil "tactical" it looks, if it has some obvious gun logo, etc on it, and the mood of the TSA agent at the time.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have had the benchmade 1100 for about 2 years now. I fly with it on me every time I travel. I remove the cap to expose the writing end and place the cap on the striking end while it goes through X-ray. I didn't do that once and didn't have any problems either but I still do it to have one less thing to worry about.

There are pain compliance techniques and other methods of use, a master of any I am not. My plan is always aggressive striking should I have to use it on an aircraft. You can use Rite in the Rain refills with these which was a selling point for me as I use it even in the field for its secondary use....writing.

Edit: I think the newer series of these have a carbide tip for breaking windows? Another benefit on top of others aforementioned.
    Last edited by Smash; 02-15-12 at 10:46.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one of those, Smith & Wesson branded (US$ 20-something). It is the pointy kind.

From an employment standpoint, any sturdy pen should suffice, but I have read concerns that the pointy end might penetrate tissue and make a mess bigger than necessary.

If, LEO types are looking for something suspicious, the pointy kind might fit their bill.

Also, you have to train drawing and attacking with it. I am sure many do not. If given the option, handgun and blade should cover (almost) all you bases. A baton (or sap) might cover the remaining...
    Have to be careful not to carry a whole armoury, though...
    Paulo Marcondes -- Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

Feedback Score
    A stainless steel Parker jotter is my 'tactical' pen....and it writes rather well too !

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOWT View Post

That's an affirmative. Just flew to HI and back with a Surefire "tactical" pen.
    My thinking was if I can't have a blade, the pen would be better than nothing, and at least give me another option. Heck, I even thought about a nice hickory cane too, but decided against it.
    As far as their real vs perceived utility in an attack, I don't really know. Like I said, for me I'd always rather have more options than less.
    Plus I really like the overbuilt-ness of the two pens I have
    Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it.
    -Buck Brannaman

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution,or you're just part of the landscape."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For a cheap alternative take a look at the standard mechanical pencils they sell at the drug store. Generally these are made out of very strong and stiff plastic. Very good for jabby stabby.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Seems to be a mixed bag, similar to a lot of what TSA does. ...

...My favorite TSA story is the GF used to fly back and forth from KS to Boston with knitting needles. They were 12" or so long, solid aluminum, and sharp as hell, and you could really fu&% someone up with those things. They made her leave her nail clippers, never, not once, said a thing about the knitting needles.
    That is hilarious because I was ASSURED by the TSA agent that the nail clipped confiscations were an urban legend.
    Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it.
    -Buck Brannaman

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution,or you're just part of the landscape."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast