Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR Vickers Tactical 1911 Pistolsmith Class Naples, FL Feb 6-11, 2012

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome class. Would love to take one of Vicker's classes on the 1911.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    I enjoyed it very much.

The knowledge of what to look for on a 1911 is so much more than checking for slide to frame fit and pressing on the barrel hood. You are absolutely right, once you know what to look for, poor quality work and shortcuts are easy to spot.

LAV is a one of a kind resource for sure, especially with the 1911.
    One of the best 1911 triggers I have ever pulled (shot?) is on a gun that was built in his gunsmithing class. He knows how to convey his knowledge to his students.

I am looking forward to hearing what sights you choose and the finish you put on that gun. Very nice 1911, by the way.
    How right you are! I now look at other 1911's (that most would consider good guns in the $1200-$1500 range) and just shake my head. Pure crap.

As they say, ignorance is truly bliss and now that I have an educated eye, I will be hard to impress.

C4

Feedback Score
    That's a carbon steel gun you built,right? How did you finish it and did you do any real accuracy tests?

This is the coolest thread I have seen in a while. I had always wanted to to attend a "build your own 1911 class" but honestly would have probably done one with a traditional and active 1911 smith like Jim Garthwaite.

I have nothing but the highest respect for LAV but probably would have passed on a class from a "tactical" guy. After seeing this, my mind may be changed.

I also would love to take a class with LAV period. Looks like a chance to do both.

I think in know what my 10 anniversary present to myself will be!

Thanks for posting this and all the awesome pictures!!!
    Last edited by OldState; 02-15-12 at 12:43.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the AAR Grant. I have been trying to go to this class for a couple of months. I have even emailed a few previous OH hosts and they said there was talk about one this fall but nothing for sure. This would be a "grail" type class for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I had always wanted to to attend a "build your own 1911 class" but honestly would have probably done one with a traditional and active 1911 smith like Jim Garthwaite.
    http://vickerstactical.com/about-lar...istolsmithing/

He knows a thing, or ten, about pistolsmithing the 1911. In fact, I've personally seen custom guns he's built go for above $5,000. Sold to people who know 1911's.

If he committed to making 1911's again, he'd have a backlog like the top guys, no doubt in my mind.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice write up. Awesome pic's. I've been really wanting to fit this in for awhile but it just hasn't happened financially, but I can see that this year I'm going to have to go the extra mile to make it happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post

He knows a thing, or ten, about pistolsmithing the 1911. In fact, I've personally seen custom guns he's built go for above $5,000. Sold to people who know 1911's.

If he committed to making 1911's again, he'd have a backlog like the top guys, no doubt in my mind.
    I think his knowledge of the 1911 is obvious and I'm very familiar with the link. I only mentioned Garthwaite because he offers a similar class and is somewhat local to me; not to compare or contrast.

Im sure his work is some of the very best but I imagine some of that $5000 premium comes from his notoriety and the fact he doesn't make pistols anymore.

I do like the combat perspective he brings to the table though.
    Last edited by OldState; 02-15-12 at 16:47.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    That's a carbon steel gun you built,right? How did you finish it and did you do any real accuracy tests?
    Yes on CS. I have not finished it yet. I guestimate that I will have another 10-15 hours of work BEFORE I start shooting 200-400rds (to break everything in) and THEN have it re-finished. For that, I am going with Salt Bath Nitride.

I do not have any sights so no accuracy tests have been done.

This is the coolest thread I have seen in a while. I had always wanted to to attend a "build your own 1911 class" but honestly would have probably done one with a traditional and active 1911 smith like Jim Garthwaite.
    The thing that LAV brings to the table is all of his experience at Delta, millions of rounds fired and all the bugs/problems witnessed via Delta shooters. No other 1911 pistolsmith can duplicate that (to my knowledge).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post

It is common now for his 1911's to command $7-8K and have seen one sell for $10K.

C4

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It would be worth buying a subscription to Tac TV, just to watch that one episode. The return on investment would be excellent, when you think of the time, money and ammunition saved.

Grant, thanks for the AAR, and please keep us updated on your 1911 build.

I'll also be interested in how this carries over for the M&P pistols you tune and sell.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast