Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W going no-lock?

Feedback Score

S&W going no-lock?

I've seen a few people state that they heard or believe that S&W is going to drop the locks on their revolvers. Does anyone have any fact based info on this? I may be in the market for a new Smith soon but would gladly hold out if they drop the locks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think we can look for that to happen.They have already been putting some out with no lock,but you can also look for a price increase,They have flooded the market with 642's,442's,etc.,with the locks,and when the no locks become regular production again,people will flock to buy them. I may even get one,too.But,probably not.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    I've seen a few people state that they heard or believe that S&W is going to drop the locks on their revolvers. Does anyone have any fact based info on this? I may be in the market for a new Smith soon but would gladly hold out if they drop the locks.
    There are currently no-lock versions of various j-frame guns, such as the 442, 632 Pro, 640 Pro, 642, and maybe others, available in supply channels and listed on S&W's website. Based on what I see in stores and what I hear when I talk to various other j-frame owners, S&W is having no trouble selling all the .38/.357 short barrel j-frames (especially lightweight ones)that it can make, lock or no-lock. I don't see any indication that the lock will completely go away, but I am certainly not privy to any inside info.

For whatever it's worth, my two 642-2 and my 649-5 all have locks. Among the three, I've fired about 2200 rds of ammo, all .38, a mix of std pressure and +P. I've never experienced any lock issue with any of them.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 02-15-12 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You won't see the locks discontinued. You will see production runs of some additional models without the lock.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Well, I had planned to pick up a no lock 442 or 642 but bougt a 642 from a buddy with a lock. Which was not a problem as I "de-locked" it. I would prefer to get a 3" 686 with no lock but I'm not willing to wait years for it to happen. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 3" 686 with a lock or try to find an older 4" with no lock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    For whatever it's worth, my two 642-2 and my 649-5 all have locks. Among the three, I've fired about 2200 rds of ammo, all .38, a mix of std pressure and +P. I've never experienced any lock issue with any of them.
    That's wonderful, but there have been enough documented lock failures, including with folks I know personally, to believe it's not an issue.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I bought a J frame last year. Told my dealer I wanted a brand ne 642 w/out a lock for lower than MSRP. Boom, he placed an order and it was mine.

I hope SW gets rid of the damn lock for good.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It will be nice to see that feature discontinued. It has also caused some inflation of price in revolvers I like as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Docwade View Post
    It will be nice to see that feature discontinued. It has also caused some inflation of price in revolvers I like as well.
    Well, that, and the mim parts, and general lowered quality of fit and finish compared to the old ones.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to see them drop the locks. It certainly seem that no one actually likes them. I just wonder if they would be willing to face the potential liability issue of removing a "safety feature" from their products.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast