Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSB/Gas Block Question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

FSB/Gas Block Question

Im putting together a Saiga .223 build and I hit a wall when it came to suppressor compatibility. Plenty of people get by every day without suppressed rifles, this is not necessary. But if possible I'd like to have it as an option.

I am well aware that Red Jacket sells a FH/Suppressor combo that I believe would work with a Saiga .223. I have little interest. Id like to thread the muzzle for an AAC 51T FH and be able to move suppressors back and forth between AR uppers and this Saiga.

So thats the goal. Unfortunately, an AAC Mini or M4 is going to need some space behind the muzzle to mount. And Ill have a big front sight block in the way. So heres my question: Anybody know if I could lose the OEM front sight block and gas block on a .223 Saiga and install a 102/104 style gas block/FSB? I understand that to keep it kosher with the NFA I may need to bore the new gas block out so the barrel fits all the way through, modify the barrel somehow, (dimple?), to ensure proper fit and definitely get rid of the 24mm threads on the end. Im looking at this in particular:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=290&page=1

Mainly Im wondering what the internal diameter of this gas block would be, what the OD of the barrel is and what type of attachment method this gas block uses. Ive seen similar builds on x39 AKs. Definitely possible. I may just need to piss away $120 on a gas block to find out.

Thanks for any info guys.

Feedback Score
    Those babies are basically unobtanium.

Why not just slice off the 24mm threads from the FSB? You will need to get rid of them to thread the barrel anyway. If you are going to do this at home, chuck it up in a mill and whack em off.

It will end up looking like this:
    Last edited by 96 SS; 02-16-12 at 06:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Id like to run the barrel through the gas block and keep it over 16". I would NOT like to use the 24mm threads on the new gas block. Essentially, Id like a Krebs KTR-08 gas block for a .223 AK. Ill contact them and see if I can order this part alone, but itd probably be even more expensive than the KVar part that I could machine out myself.

KTR-08 for reference:

Feedback Score
    Krebs do sell their unit separately. Sometimes it is hard to get ahold of (as they sell well).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    You could just cut the FSB and weld it onto the GB. Then you wouldn't have to buy anything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaDude View Post
    You could just cut the FSB and weld it onto the GB. Then you wouldn't have to buy anything.
    Thought about this. I dont mind it looking ghetto... Just... Are there really gunsmiths out there with a good reputation for this procedure?

Feedback Score
    Well if you do it right it definitely shouldn't look ghetto in the slightest

I don't know of any gunsmiths who'd do it - I've just seen people do it themselves. That's how I'd do it (OK, I'd get my dad to do it, he's the welder )

Feedback Score
    Not sure if it's of any help but - http://www.rifledynamics.com/services/bolton_block.php

Feedback Score
    I have heard of several people having issues with clamped on style combo gas blocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast