Thread: $350.00 General Purpose Bolt Action Rifle

Feedback Score

$350.00 General Purpose Bolt Action Rifle

Can you get a good General purpose bolt action rifle, to be used for hunting? I am looking at 24 to 30 caliber rifles. Magnums need not apply.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmhpfan View Post
    Can you get a good General purpose bolt action rifle, to be used for hunting? I am looking at 24 to 30 caliber rifles. Magnums need not apply.
    Yes any gun shop will have a used rifle for that price. 308 win would be my choice.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Go to Dicks and see what they have. Should be able to get a basic Remington 700 for close to that when they are having a sale. Make sure it is a 700 and not the 770 or whatever their cheap rifle is called. It comes with a scope and is a POS.

Also check out pawn shops. They are full of nice old wood guns that nobody wants.

A Marlin 336 30-30 would be in that price range. I have one and like it.

Thompson Center Venture is in that price range, and I think it is supposed to be a decent rifle.

Ruger M77 if you look around- good gun.

I don't know anything about Savages, but there are some in that price range as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Marlin XS/XL series

A couple of years ago when I was in the market for an entry-level deer rifle, I settled on the Marlin XS/XL series after a lot of research (I went with the XS7 in .308). At the time I got it from Academy for about $299. With a relatively cheap Nikon Prostaff scope it shoots MOA with Hornady A-MAX and about 1.5 MOA with the Interlock hunting rounds (hand loaded).

If you are looking to accessorize it later you probably need to go with the Remington 700, but if you are looking for a budget bolt gun that shoots well, lots of people have been happy with the Marlin.
    Last edited by HuttoAg96; 02-15-12 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I spent just under $400 last year for a Savage in .308, was a package deal from Cabela's with the no-name scope already mounted.

Sighted the gun in with 150gr Federal classic SPs, shoots just over an inch with that load. I have taken four deer with that gun so far.

Recommended.