Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    If I remember correctly, I had a hard time applying the SOFT-T to myself with one hand, so my preference is for the CAT.

However, the CAT has it's own set of problems--first, the windlass is plastic, so I have heard reports of them breaking while trying to wrench down on a bleeding extremity. Second, the TQ is also velcro based, so again, reports of the velcro getting clogged up and failing to function absent use of the tri-glide. Finally, the velcro can get bumped loose, causing the TQ to stop functioning as it should.

On balance, in my humble opinion, the SOFT-T should be the superior TQ. The aluminum windlass, plus the method of securing the strap (a metal clamp with a screw on it, versus velcro) seems more secure than the velcro of the CAT. I have both on my kit.

YMMV.
    the soft-t-w does not have the locking screw. that's the soft-t.

also i was told that the locking knob on the soft-t wasn't super effective and worse yet, most of the time responders forget to tighten the knob... it's quite a bit of muscle and procedural memory required to knob something down after you did everything else up to that point :\

Feedback Score
    Well I use both, but I prefer the SOF.

They both pretty much work the same way, except the SOF is made of metal parts and the CAT is made of strong plastic. The SOF goes into a metal clip and the CAT slips into a plastic catching device. Same operation basically. One thing I like about the SOF style is that it is metal and I am not afraid to re-use it if I want to practice and see how it works.

My BOK has a SOF in it, and my CLS bag has a CAT in it. It is only because I got some CAT ones very cheap or for free, but I would not hesistate to use one.

I also would like to say that I don't think it's hard to transition from one to another. You operate them pretty much the same way. Always keep them loose enough to fit over your entire thigh without loosening.

Feedback Score
    I have trained with both and carry both. What I have found the only real difference in the SOF and CAT is the locking system. As for the application they are pretty much the same to me.

I carry the CAT in my smaller kits and the SOF in my larger kits.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have used the CAT A LOT and love it. It is very rugged and easy enough for Soldiers to use. Plus like someone else said they are free.
    www.highcountrydefense.com
    Out of a hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there and 80 are just targets. Nine are the real fighters, and we are thankful for them because they make the battle. But the one, the one is a warrior and he brings the others back-Heraclites

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This weekend I had the opportunity to use the Cav Arms SLICK, SOFTT-W, SOFTT-T, and CAT. All of them had their plusses and minuses. The key is to try them out and see what works best for you. The Cav Arms will store in the smallest size but to me felt the most fragile and hardest to secure plus I was not happy with its width. I wasn't a fan of the -T with its screw. The -W was good, nice and wide, but the buckle can be a bit hard to manipulate on yourself. The CAT was my favorite, but the windlass is plastic and a it has a lot of velcro that can get clogged.

So try them all and see what works best for you.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have been meaning to get the SWAT-T, but have not gotten around to it. I carry the CAT-T and have used it on several occasions in the field.

I can see why the SWAT-T will work easier, because of clothing and other issues, in my opinion both will work well and both are always good to have.

In my experience the biggest issue is not the tourniquet, its the person you are using it on. Often times you need to hold that person down in order to put the tourniquet on them, its a pain.

Feedback Score
    I keep the CAT in my personal IFAK (Right Side) because that's what most of the guys know how to use. I dont want some boot learning how to use something new when im dumping blood out of my femoral.

I roll out with 4 SOFFT W's in my gunshot kit (Left side) that I use to treat others, I really dig the T-W's.

I had the old SoffT's with the thumbscrew and the way I was taught... Loop the end an inch or so through the clamp (pre-staged) and screw the screw all the way down until tight, then reverse two full revolutions with the hand. That will allow enough surface to grab under stress and you can still easily put it tight. That way afterwards its just two flicks of the wrist to get tension with the screw, then start rolling the winlass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have carried and used both, the SOFT-T is far superior strength wise and IMO alot easier to apply.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I don't think it really matters. I have both. In most all cases, either one will be completely sufficient.

It's much more important that you have one available and know when/where/how to apply it correctly. Pick one (or buy one of each - they aren't that expensive), get proper training on it's use and then purchase an extra for training only. You're likely to be just as proficient with one as the other, so long as you've trained with it.
    I agree, I've used both in the 'Stan, just practice with what ever you buy.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    I carry two of the SOF with the lock screw on my plate carrier. I like them. Get some training, and practice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast