Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carry a CAT simply because it is what I am familiar with. It goes on with one hand very well and serves the purpose it was built for in that it can get very tight, very quickly. Good enough for me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here'a link to a study done by the U.S. Navy on a variety of tourniquets tested by active duty personnel. It gets a bit more technical than I could comprehend but the tables listing the results in various categories, whether subjective or objective, were easy to understand for a common Joe like me. Just to point out the study was put out 5 years ago. I'm sure some of the tourniquets have been improved upon based on the results of this study. I see that there is now a 3rd Gen. of SOFT-T's out that addresses some of the shortcomings that came out in this testing. The CAT did very well along with the surprise results of the tension type TK-3s and TK-4s. Hope this doesn't put you to sleep! LOL http://www.gohandh.com/wp-content/up...QKREPT2007.pdf

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I prefer the CAT...pre load it through the buckles when you store it. I believe the current offerings no longer use a plastic windlass. I was issued a SWAT TQ and can not find any positive reviews of it. One MD writing an article stated something to the effect that it was junk and did not work reliably.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    CAT is the way to go.
    There is a reason its the only Tourniquet that SOF Personnel use.
    You can easily use it on your self if you ever(god forbid) have to.
    Some CAT's have a place to write the time on it which is rather important to some people. I would guestimate the time its on.

---Nationally certified EMT-1
    Alaska certified EMT-2 (expanded scope) (similar to I/99)
    CLS
    TCCC

Feedback Score
    In my experience with both, I personally must go with the SOF-T, and here is why:

My unit's SOP is to carry a TQ attached to the left shoulder of your plate carrier. After extended periods of time in direct sunlight, the plastic windlass can obviously become brittle and snap easier when you apply a large amount of force to it (such as actually applying it on someone) I've seen 4 CAT TQ's windlasses snap when being applied in the past 5 months. Granted, the breakage cannot be blamed on brittling in sunlight, they could have been mishandled, cracked from being beat up, chemicals spilled on them or a lot of other reasons why they failed.

The velcro loses it grip after repeated exposure to wetness obviously. A big reason why you should always go through both slits on the buckle when you are able to. You can mitigate this somewhat by keeping the velcro clean.

As for the SOF-T, I like the fact that it's metal and webbing, that's it. ( although I don't recall if the retaining rings for the windlass are plastic or not...) In timed drills under perfect conditions there was little to no time difference between a CAT and a SOF-T, applying to yourself or someone else.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    I have used the CAT and it works great, I never used the SOFTT-W, but after looking at the video I'd like to go and try one out. I like the fact that they can be connected for those big guys with heavy duty kit (like a MOPP suit).

I'm gonna walk over to my supply and see if they have some

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I go back and forth between the SOF-T and the CAT, and have had good luck with each in CONUS pre-hospital EMS. Students in training seem to prefer the CAT however for its simplicity, and echo that after use as well.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-11-12 at 17:06.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Both work but the SOFF-T is a little better if you have to go apeshit on a thigh. They're also a little heavier. For an IFAK that you're going to be hiking around with or otherwise using on the move I'd take two CAT tourniquets for about the same weight as a single SOFF-T. Be sure to get the newer ones with red on the pull tab and a white securing band. For a car bag or range bag first aid kit I'd use two SOFF-T ideally, but there's nothing wrong with CAT tourniquets for both.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    This has been a great read, I have actually been debating the very same recently and ended up purchasing both TQs to help facilitate me forming my own opinion hands on. I am currently leaning towards the SOF-T for the fact that I like the method of retention with the rings better than I do the velcro of the CAT.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i tried both recently.

i was instructed that the soft-t-w is better for legs. this proved true when i tested it. the wider straps, beefy windlass, and more forgiving single d ring windlass lock in a better position allowed for easier application.

the cat was very good on arms, but the rat was better.

when using the cat on a larger limb, when winding down the windlass the strap would cinch into the area where the windlass resides and cause the windlass to angle on every turn, one turn away from the locking c ring, next turn toward the locking c ring. this could totally be a lack of experience issue, but i didn't have the same problem with the soft-t-w.
    Last edited by trinydex; 08-28-12 at 23:40.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast