Thread: .308 AR Mag Question

Feedback Score

.308 AR Mag Question

Do all .308 ARs take the same magazine? If not, what is the most commonly used (Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, etc.)?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildhaggis96 View Post
    Do all .308 ARs take the same magazine? If not, what is the most commonly used (Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, etc.)?
    Bushmaster and RRA use FAL mags.
    Armalite use modified M14 mags.
    DPMS and KAC use SR25 mags and are compatible with each other.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    GotM4, thanks for the response. What would you say is the best option here? I was thinking Armalite, but would the mags still be usable in an M14/M1A? Otherwise, what would you say is the best rifle out of the bunch, taking into consideration that the KAC is a little out of my price range. Although it would be nice. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Personally I like the KAC and DPMS .308s. (I'll very likely buy a DPMS AP4 eventually)

Not a real big fan of ArmaLite AR10s. (we quit carrying them because we've had to send so many back just to function, I know others have had no problems this isn't consistent with our experience)

The Bushmaster is discontinued and who knows if RRA will ever come out.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    +1 on the Knights/Stoner/DPMS magazines as the most common and most reliable even though FAL mags are far more abundant there just aren't that many AR type rifles that use them.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The "most" common to a .308 AR platform, would be the AR-10A, SR-25, and DPMS mags. Only because three systems use them.

Bushmaster and RRA and the FAL, use FAL mags. RRA is going to make a "precision" FAL mag for specific use with their new weapons, though you will still be able to use inch or metric FAL mags too.

For cheap, and easy to locate mags, the Bushmaster/RRA/FAL is probably the most common.