Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and wanting advice on a rifle.

Feedback Score

I'm new and wanting advice on a rifle.

I'm new to this site but from what i read around the site its just the place i want to be with all the experts and knowledgeable people. With that said i am 20 and i have been shooting since i was 12 being my frist rifle was a bolt-action 22 and ever since then i have collected several guns, mostly from family, but they are all bolt or lever action and i thought it was about time that i upgrade to a higher quality semi-auto rifle and i have been looking around and i like the AR's more than the AK's so i have looked and looked and i have finally got one in mind but i want some advice before i get it. Its a SIG551-A1 10" sbr any input would be great and i want a sbr for short to mid range shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFurby View Post
    I'm new to this site but from what i read around the site its just the place i want to be with all the experts and knowledgeable people.
    Read the stickies:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=173
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Paulo Marcondes -- Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

Feedback Score
    Colt 6920

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Read a lot - because it's cheaper than buying a rifle and then eating the cost of reselling to get another, more logical item.

Those stickies are a good start.

The typical theme is - buy a decent capable AR (the newer Sigs have some odd issues).

Colt 6720
    Colt 6920
    DD V5 LW
    BCM 16" BFH Middy

Of those, the Colts get the nod for somebody starting out.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Thanks i like the colts alot but they are 16" barrels and i was wanting one shorter is there a way to change the barrels out? I was also going to be getting a suppressor in the near future.
    Last edited by BattleFurby; 02-19-12 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFurby View Post
    Thanks i like the colts alot but they are 16" barrels and i was wanting one shorter is there a way to change the barrels out? I was also going to be getting a suppressor in the near future.
    I think you need to reconsider what several posters suggested: Read the sticky's and use the search button. Put your thoughts together based on the knowledge gained through this process and then ask more informed questions.

You strike me as one of those guys who want to run before they learn to walk (I was 20 not too long ago so I understand). If you have the money for a carbine of your choice, suppressor, and 2 NFA tax stamps, then you would probably will be better off buying a colt 6920, ammo, and a beginner or intermediate level class (depending on your level). Grow your knowledge from there and then start tinkering with parts, builds, etc... Or, take a LOT of time and research the hell out of this site and put together your sbr with can.
    Last edited by sboza; 02-19-12 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You're first ar should NOT be an SBR.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    You're first ar should NOT be an SBR.
    Agree. ^^^^^

What is it that a 16" rifle can't offer you that a 10" rifle will? Once you can truthfully answer that question, then you can decide what you need. I would never seriously consider a SIG rifle but i would be interested to know what your reasoning is.

Buy a colt 6920, take a class, figure out what you like and don't like, then if you are still in the game, then go whole hog for your next gun (BCM, KAC, Colt, Noveske, DD, etc).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sboza View Post
    you would probably will be better off buying a colt 6920, ammo, and a beginner or intermediate level class (depending on your level).
    Provided your interest in the rifle is to actually become proficient with it, this is the best advice. If your end-goal is owning something "cool" then buy the anachronistic SBR.

Feedback Score
    After my last post i read around the site alot and i have found that my question was poorly stated and as sboza said i was "wanting to run before i walk" there is alot about sbr's that i didn't know about and i really wasn't wanting a an ar just as a show piece i shoot the hell out of my rifles i have now and the ar i get is gonna be a workhorse. As you can see i'm still a novice when it comes to semi-auto rifles and you'll have to forgive me for that and thanks for the input guys it has been really helpful i'm gonna keep reading around and learn as much as i can before i dive head first into an ar, but i'm defiantly in love with ar's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast