Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twist rates for various calibers?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Tikka T3 in .223 is a 1" in 8" twist FYI. Worth checking out if you have a stocking dealer near you. They are good shooters!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    The Tikka T3 in .223 is a 1" in 8" twist FYI. Worth checking out if you have a stocking dealer near you. They are good shooters!
    Just picked up a T3 Varmint in .223 yesterday, hopefully it will be here next week.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drck1000 View Post
    Mark - For your 223 700 LTR 1/9 that you ran the 77 gr loads in, did it have the stock 20" barrel length? Or did you have a custom barrel installed (longer than 20")?
    It was a stock LTR w/20" factory barrel. I don't recall the load, was with Benchmark powder. Did try Varget and H4895, the Benchmark was more consistent and accurate for me.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I to have a stock 20" 700 LTR with 1-9" twist that stabilizes 75 and 77gr ammo just fine. I attended a Advanced LE Sniper Course last October and using 75gr Hornady factory Match ammo I consistently printed less than 1 MOA everytime out to 300yds which was the farthest we shot groups on paper. My train-up prior to the course also showed consistent 3/4" or less 5 shot grooups at 100yds with the factory 75gr Hornady. I also have used it with some Federal 77gr factory ammo at two 300yd F-Class matches and shot a 142 out of a possible 150 each time on a ten ring that was only 1 MOA. Plus every 75gr handload I have tried through it has printed less than 1 MOA at 100yds, using 5 shot groups.

Mt RRA 16" barrel 1-9" twist also shoots 75gr handloads just fine.

I say you wont know until you try it. A 1-8" or 1-7" will certainly be a safe bet but I havent had a problem with my 1-9" yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can punch paper at 400 yds with a 50 gr V-Max out of a 1 in 12" twist. Wind is a factor, of course, but the prairie dogs die just fine. If your preferred bolt gun has a 1 in 9" twist, just work up a load with the 69 gr SMK and you'll buck the wind pretty well out to 500. The 1 in 7" twist is en vogue right now but the heavy bullets aren't really needed unles you're shooting hi-power or something, or if you have an SBR and want to be able to add weight to make up for velocity losses.

Feedback Score
    In regards to my post above below are some of my targets from my 700 LTR with 1-9" twist firing 75gr ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I nominate this for a sticky. I have asked a similar question in the past, and did not get this quality of info. And this question gets asked often.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
    You can punch paper at 400 yds with a 50 gr V-Max out of a 1 in 12" twist. Wind is a factor, of course, but the prairie dogs die just fine. If your preferred bolt gun has a 1 in 9" twist, just work up a load with the 69 gr SMK and you'll buck the wind pretty well out to 500. The 1 in 7" twist is en vogue right now but the heavy bullets aren't really needed unles you're shooting hi-power or something, or if you have an SBR and want to be able to add weight to make up for velocity losses.

This is my question, I have a Remington 700 VLS that is a sweet shooter! But the twist is 1/12 or 12, it's fine with 55 grain but I want to step it up a bit. I have a Nikon BDC scope that goes to 500yds, longest I can do in Va is 300yd. Do the experts think a re-barreling is in order to step up to 600 yds?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Positive Displacement View Post
    This is my question, I have a Remington 700 VLS that is a sweet shooter! But the twist is 1/12 or 12, it's fine with 55 grain but I want to step it up a bit. I have a Nikon BDC scope that goes to 500yds, longest I can do in Va is 300yd. Do the experts think a re-barreling is in order to step up to 600 yds?
    Is the bullet key holing past 300 yards or oval hits? This will tell you if the bullet is being spun to slow.

If the bullet is spun to slow you will see key holing. To fast and the bullet will spin across the lands, shearing the bullet. To fast and you will see larger amounts of copper deposits in the barrel and larger groups down range. In your case you are not spinning the bullet to fast.

Due to air density the 223 has a very poor BC to begin with. Sorry, but the 223 was not designed to be a long range caliber. The environment exhibits a lot of havoc on the bullet once it leaves the barrel due to the 223 aerodynamic qualities.

Can longer ranges be achieved with the 223? Yes, but it will be more susceptible to the environment making it much more difficult to accurately hit.

The ideal range for the 223 is around the 300 - 400 yard mark. The 1:12 twist is fine for the caliber You can go to a faster twist to get to longer ranges but the 223 just does not have the BC to play at longer ranges consistently.

If you want to play out past 500 yards, accurately, I would say go to a larger caliber with a better BC.
    Last edited by The Surgeon; 03-01-12 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think not, in most situations your fine. 69 grains will get there. Don't have to have 77grainers. The twist rate, bullet weight thing are guidelines IMHO. The only proof is on the bullet.

Make sure you need a new barrel. If the barrel shoots for shit at 100, yes no harm in getting a new barrel. otherwise, let it rip and find out. Probably not.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast