Thread: Optic and BUIS options

Feedback Score

Optic and BUIS options

My rifle is a work in progress and is used for cometition and secondary HD. I originally posted this in the optics section but am trying this here.

I am currently running a 2-7x scope on a flat top upper which has made me remove my rear BUIS, and a fold down front. I am contemplating putting 45 deg offset rails on it and mounting my BUIS on my strong side. Having shot a couple multi gun matches I found out that the 2x is still a little to much magnification for some of the ranges we shoot at. I understand that this makes another connection that could loosen.

What is your experience with a setup like this and what pitfalls/benefits have you encountered with this?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 60buckscash View Post
    My rifle is a work in progress and is used for cometition and secondary HD. I originally posted this in the optics section but am trying this here.

I am currently running a 2-7x scope on a flat top upper which has made me remove my rear BUIS, and a fold down front. I am contemplating putting 45 deg offset rails on it and mounting my BUIS on my strong side. Having shot a couple multi gun matches I found out that the 2x is still a little to much magnification for some of the ranges we shoot at. I understand that this makes another connection that could loosen.

What is your experience with a setup like this and what pitfalls/benefits have you encountered with this?
    You really need 1x on the low end. You will use it far more often than you will use your max setting. Off set irons are ok but they are not as fast as an optic set at 1x at least not for me. What is your price range for a scope. Take a look at the Burris Mtac 1-4 if money is tight.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I just installed a Burris MTAC 1-4 for a friend of mine. I would call it a 1.5 to 4 to be more accurate. I am not a fan of the reticle that it has but it does work. I have an XTR 1-4 and it has a closer 1X than the MTAC but at twice the price. I am a big fan of 1-4x scopes to shoot precision out to 100 yds. I also have no issues hitting steel out to 320 yds on 4x. I have not shot for groups out that far.

Another plus for the MTAC is that it is quite a light scope.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I ended up putting a riser under the scope and it seems much easier to manipulate as I am not having to keep my head so low to get a good view. I guess I will know at the next multi gun match!