Thread: Advice Needed (1st time M4 owner)

Feedback Score

Advice Needed (1st time M4 owner)

Hi all, I bought my first gun (i'm 19yrs old) A Colt/Walther M4 Carbine replica (made in Germany) in .22LR-HV rimfire and i'm working on getting two sets of parts for Sniper and CQB configurations.

For sniping (Local gun range target shooting at 100 yards); I have a nice budget 3-9x40 scope. I'm going to get a RIS quad rail system, H&K tactical foregrip, and a high quality bipod.

For closer range shooting (50 yards for fun/practicing quicker aiming) i'm going for front and rear flip up Colt sights, as well as the H&K foregrip that I mentioned earlier; and in the future when I have more money (on a budget right now) a real holographic or ACOG.

I also currently have three 10-round mags (I live in California) ;( and I wanted to know if it would be legal for me to get 20 round ones? Also, any other general advice or comments you have on my build would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of the finished product at a later date when I can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a rifle.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I would leave a simple optic on it, since it is a .22, and not worry about Sniper/CQB stuff. Save that money. Once you can save up about $1000, get a Cali-legal BCM from G&R Tactical.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    This should've been posted HERE not in AR Technical Discussion.

Feedback Score
    Shoot the thing, use it for training and such but not sure you should be spending money on things not intended for a 22. I mean have you priced an ACOG? That's big boy money on a learner rifle. Not to say you couldn't use the optic on something else later...I just think you are getting ahead of yourself. Enjoy what you have for what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf777 View Post
    For closer range shooting (50 yards for fun/practicing quicker aiming) i'm going for front and rear flip up Colt sights, as well as the H&K foregrip that I mentioned earlier; and in the future when I have more money (on a budget right now) a real holographic or ACOG.
    Instead of sticking a a ~850-900 dollar ACOG on a gun that costs $450 brand spanking new. I suggest using that money (plus a hundred $) and buying a real M4gery. No need to get all tactical with mil-spec componets on a .22 LR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ball29 View Post
    Instead of sticking a a ~850-900 dollar ACOG on a gun that costs $450 brand spanking new. I suggest using that money (plus a hundred $) and buying a real M4gery. No need to get all tactical with mil-spec componets on a .22 LR.
    +1 on that

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice. I decided to only buy the Colt/Walther parts as described above, and forego the more expensive stuff for a higher-caliber m16 much later on. Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    One, save up and get a full caliber rifle, two, if you want to trick a rifle out, trick that out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IYAAYASwarrior View Post
    +1 on that
    +2 have fun