Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS Questions

Feedback Score

LMT MWS Questions

I'm interested in getting and MWS and have a couple of questions.

What are the differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guns and how can I tell the difference?

Is there a known serial number range for the Gen 2 guns?

I'm thinking about the Nightforce 1-4x24 but what about some other options such as the Bushnell 1-6.5x24 or the Horus Talon?

Feedback Score
    I also am very interested in the LMT 308. I call several dealers and they tell me the alternate barrels are not available , yet LMTs own website says they are in fact now available.
    Also if anyone can tell me where to get a great deal on this rifle, I would love to hear from them. Posts on here talk about $2000 to $2500. Would love anyone's experience or comments about the alternate 6.5 Creedmoor barrel versus 260 Remington . I feel that these would be superior to 338 Federal .
    My reference of comparing these calibers is cost , barrel life and long distance range. I am very new to this web site so pardon if I am in wrong thread .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    afaik, gen 1 upper is billet, gen 2 upper is forged. the way i tell the difference is the area of the crossbolts is different, also on the left side the receiver is has much more rounded edges, the relief area around the bolt release has a larger circumference

they also went with a dual ejector bolt, not sure if this corresponds to gen though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF maddog View Post
    I also am very interested in the LMT 308. I call several dealers and they tell me the alternate barrels are not available , yet LMTs own website says they are in fact now available.
    Also if anyone can tell me where to get a great deal on this rifle, I would love to hear from them. Posts on here talk about $2000 to $2500. Would love anyone's experience or comments about the alternate 6.5 Creedmoor barrel versus 260 Remington . I feel that these would be superior to 338 Federal .
    My reference of comparing these calibers is cost , barrel life and long distance range. I am very new to this web site so pardon if I am in wrong thread .

there is like a 2 month wait on the rifle because of demand. i dont know of anyone who has the alternative caliber barrels i dont even think they shipped any yet., i dont know of any dealers that sell the rifle for MUCH cheaper than msrp, hopefully someone can chime in with some leads for you. i ordered directly from LMT because i wanted a 18" stainless. (still waiting)

your gonna open a can of worms with the 260 vs 6.5 creedmore argument, they are similar, basically 6.5cm is a shorter fatter cased 260 they both launch the same projectiles. some people say the 6.5 is more consistant.(due to powder burn/ efficient case) i dont know. both have better long range trajectory than a 308 win.

im going to say this but im not 100% sure about it. but i think you need a longer barrel to take advantage of the 260/6.5cm, like a 20" and the 308 does decent in 16-18" rifles. i probably wouldnt rock a 16" 260. something tells me the velocity would suck and the small projectiles would suffer and you would give up any advantage you had over a 308 at that point

i dont know much if anything about the 338 federal, but i would ASSsume its a harder hitting caliber aimed at hunters. i have a hard time believing that a cartridge that would fit in a 308 mag would have enough power to launch a 338 projectile (300smk) with enough speed to surpass 308 or 6.5 LONG RANGE ballistics(trajectory)
    Last edited by HELLABEN; 02-22-12 at 23:59.

Feedback Score
    Another way to tell the difference between gen 1 and 2 is the case deflector. On the gen 1 (billet) the case deflector is oriented at a more acute angle in relation to the ejection port, Not quite 90 degrees. The gen2 (forged) has a more gradual bevel of the case delfector in relation to the ejection port.

I ordered my MWS from LMT to ensure i got the most recent model. It took about 8 weeks to receive it. Awesome rifle! Dont let the opinions about the weight of the rifle scare you off, its not that bad at all.

Feedback Score
    I have a used gen 1 and it has been very nice. Bolt carrier is flaking a bit on the inside so I may send it back for a new one. LGS (Vances) has a brand new one (Gen 2 I assume) for $2600. I am happy that I bought the LMT, its been a great rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Is this a 1st or 2nd gen?

https://instagram.com/p/woFvNWNcPl/
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    2nd gen

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks.

This is my new rifle. I guess one of the previous owners made it famous on IG, kinda funny.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Since I just picked up this rifle, I have one more question for now.

What kind of match grade factory ammo do LMTs usually like? I assume Fed Gold Medal Match is a go, but are there other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast