Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lee-Enfield Rifle 1942 No.4 MK1 "SMLE"

Feedback Score
    A Lee Enfield of just about any make that is in good condition, is a better shooter than you'd believe.

The No4s have really nice peep sights....much better than the dinky V sights on most Mausers and only the Garand is better as far as WWII rifle sights go.

The Lee Enfield has a very light recoil and a very fast operating bolt.

They look odd if you are used to seeing Mausers and Springfields but they shoot very well...as good as many Mausers, Springfields and Nagants in my experience.

Now my Swedish Mausers, Finnish Nagant and Swiss K-31 will gladly out-group the Enfields at 100yds, but my 4 Enfleids will keep up with any K-98 or Russkie Mosin I have ever shot.

- brickboy240

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan9106 View Post
    They were also manufactured at Lithgow, in New South Wales, Australia. My brother-in-law has one that was sporterized before he got it. He's taken many, many deer with it over the years.
    Lithgow only ever made the No. 1 Mk III and Mk III*, not the No. 4. The Mk III was standard Australian issue until it was replaced by the L1A1.
    Last edited by xrayoneone; 03-28-12 at 19:09. Reason: typo
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayoneone View Post
    Lithgow only ever made the No. 1 Mk III and Mk III*, not the No. 4. The Mk III was standard Australian issue until it was replaced by the L1A1.
    Thought so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234