Thread: Magpul Personal Defense Weapon, the new thing that ISNT the masada

Feedback Score

Magpul Personal Defense Weapon, the new thing that ISNT the masada

So, Magpul has come out with a Personal Defense Weapon, chambered in 556 and taking standard AR mags.

Here is the PDF:
    http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/PDRtech_PR.pdf

Now here is where it gets fun:

The over all length with a 10.5" barrel is 18 inches and with a 12.5" barrel it is 20 inches. SO, that means, in order for this weapon to NOT be a SBR, (min overall length of 26 inches) it will have to have an 18.5" barrel.

If you want a SBR, that's cool, but for those of us who either don't want to do the paper work, or live in a Non-SBR state:

You can have a 556 weapon, with the INCREASED range and terminal effectiveness/fragmentation that the extra velocity from an 18.5" barrel, AND have an overall length of 26 INCHES.

Holy crap.

It gets better... Suppressors become quieter as barrel length increases due to the increased amount of powder burned inside the barrel, AND there will be less wear inside the suppressor.

It would be nice to have a Suppressed weapon, with an 18.5" barrel, that is SHORTER than an unsuppressed M4 with the stock collapsed.

PLUS, according to the PDF the mag release is right next to the trigger, NOT back next to the mag itself, (but there is a secondary mag release there also).

This is definitely something I am gonna buy. If they make it with an 18.5" barrel, so I don't have to SBR it.

Feedback Score
    It's like a Tavor and an FN P90 had a baby.

Looks cool, but how far away from production? I would guess a loooong time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They brought a plastic mockup of the PDW to last year's shot. They brought fully functioning Masadas.

I haven't heard anything about this PDW in the last year.

I'm guessing it's more of an idea than a plan perhaps?

ETA: I just looked at that PDF. I'm not sure that PDR in the PDF is anything like what they had brought to the show last year.

This looks very "Masada" and I don't recall the last one looking that much like a Masada. But then again, it had been broken and glued back together. I am positive there were no P90 "parts" on the gun!

ETA2: Wow. Just went through the whole PDF. Now I see the dates, etc. That's supposed to be out this year!?! I wanted my Masada to be a factory SBR but didn't really want to wait. I've conceded to getting a 16" right away and waiting to SBR it later.

Maybe (cringe) I should put off a Masada purchase and just wait for the true SBR PDR.

Do you really think they will make an 18.5" barreled version of this? That (no offense to you and your personal needs) seems like it would be a very silly weapon to bother making. I guess not any more silly than making PS90s for civilian sales though...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    SuicideHZ

No offense taken. I have no idea what Magpul is gonna do.

BUT!!

Since magpul is already designing/refining a weapon to compete directly with the AR (Masada).... why would they NOT design a weapon to compete with the bullpups? Steyr AUG, TPD AXR, MSAR STG556, FN 2000, Tavor.

See, this thing can be both a bullpup & compete with the above weapons, AND be a PDR and compete with the H&K MP7, the KAC PDR, and the FNP90. For the latter, the Magpul PDR is the ONLY one that uses commonly found 556 ammo. Have you checked on 5.7 ammo lately?... WOW!

There is nothing "bad" about making a barrel longer.... EXCEPT when it becomes hard to maneuver. THAT'S the problem with long barrels, they are hard to move around in tight spaces. And since the key to 556 terminal ballistics is velocity, longer is better.

Please don't get hung up on the 18.5" barrel, instead, look at the overall length of the weapon itself. I just checked the MSAR STG556 web page, with a 16" barrel the STG is 27" overall. If you don't want to SBR it, (and i dont) why NOT have the barrel make up most of that 26" min length? If you have to make something longer to meet the min, let it be barrel... since you have to have >26".

have a good one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only time I can see a longer barrel being bad is when it's found on a weapon made for a shorter one- take a look at the PS90 and the SLR106 with the 16" barrels. BUTT Ugly!

But if it's the weapon you want and you are the one paying for it, have at it!

I won't mind making you jealous when i have the SBR version!

Feedback Score
    that's hot. magpul is out of control...what's next? grenade launchers?

Feedback Score
    The over all length with a 10.5" barrel is 18 inches and with a 12.5" barrel it is 20 inches. SO, that means, in order for this weapon to NOT be a SBR, (min overall length of 26 inches) it will have to have an 18.5" barrel.
    True, but I think the whole point here is to make something compact, to compete with, say, a 10.5" AR, Masada, etc. It'd be like getting an MP-5K clone with a 16" barrel on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boltcatch View Post
    True, but I think the whole point here is to make something compact, to compete with, say, a 10.5" AR, Masada, etc. It'd be like getting an MP-5K clone with a 16" barrel on it.
    And that's exactly what a lot of us are drooling over- the GSG .22 MP5 that's coming out!