Thread: Suunto Ambit

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Suunto Ambit

Suunto Ambit GPS watch anyone? It's not out yet but soon. Looks feature rich from what I'm reading.
    http://www.suunto.com/us/en/Product-...s/suunto-ambit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    Suunto Ambit GPS watch anyone? It's not out yet but soon. Looks feature rich from what I'm reading.
    http://www.suunto.com/us/en/Product-...s/suunto-ambit
    Looks great. I have core military and love it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bump. Anyone have experience with this watch? I'd imagine it make land nav far easier. Pretty feature rich--can input 8 digit MGRS from the watch and use the watch to navigate.

Only big issue so far seems to be the battery life. 50 hours with low power GPS, 15 hours with higher power gps (basically refresh rate). 30 days w/o a charge.

I'm used to my military watches being solar powered, so I'm curious if this is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    The Ambit looks like a solid timepiece. The price is scary but if that is the kind of watch you're after than Suunto is a solid company. Yea battery life will be an issue but you shouldnt be relying on your watch for a tool specific job like land nav. It should be used for back up and possibly spot or double checking yourself. That's how I'd use it but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violator View Post
    The Ambit looks like a solid timepiece. The price is scary but if that is the kind of watch you're after than Suunto is a solid company. Yea battery life will be an issue but you shouldnt be relying on your watch for a tool specific job like land nav. It should be used for back up and possibly spot or double checking yourself. That's how I'd use it but YMMV.
    A timepiece is the LAST thing the Ambit is...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    A timepiece is the LAST thing the Ambit is...
    That was certainly informative.

I have a Suunto Core and it's a great watch. The battery life on my Core is not the best but they are little computers so....

For a non digital watch I have a Seiko diver.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Work harder. Millions on welfare are depending on you.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    George S. Patton

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkrackers View Post
    That was certainly informative.

I have a Suunto Core and it's a great watch. The battery life on my Core is not the best but they are little computers so....

For a non digital watch I have a Seiko diver.
    My point exactly...

I have an old school D6. It's a "life support" computer first and last and it does its job well one dive at a time. What value can you put on a watch that is only as reliable as your ability to keep it charged? Now, if you could download apps on it, I'd buy one tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Suunto Mil Core.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    My point exactly...

What value can you put on a watch that is only as reliable as your ability to keep it charged?
    No offense meant, that's just a ridicules comment to make. It's like saying what value can you put on a gun that's not loaded? Really?

All watches are time pieces. Some do other things besides keeping time. Some keep time better than others. Some are more rugged, cheap or expensive. All watches also require maintenance like keeping batteries fresh if it's a quarts, keeping it wound if mechanical, putting a kinetic watch in an auto watch winder or charging it up if it's solar powered. It's nothing any more or less complicated than keeping a firearm in operating condition.

I have the tools to replace my batteries on all of my watches as well as make minor repairs just like I have tools for my guns.

Suunto makes a great watch and I would look closely at the Core series.
    Last edited by Bigkrackers; 07-02-12 at 22:58.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Work harder. Millions on welfare are depending on you.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    George S. Patton

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Big +1 for Suunto from me. I have a Core and it's the best watch I've owned.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT