Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brownell's new staking tool

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    ......the spring loaded punches work great, though.. i've done probably 20 or more with this one, and it's a great center punch for the press.

you can even get different tips for 'em.. i've seen blunt tips, and a guy could probably even find chisel tips and who knows what else.
    Different tips huh? I didn’t know that.

I have a couple of the Snap On pencil sized automatic center punches from when I turned wrenches and did aircraft sheet metal work, but I never knew about center punches offering different shaped tips.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i swing a hammer for a living, and i've never had any success chisel/punching a key with a manual chisel/punch.. but that sure as sheeit doesn't mean someone else isn't skilled at it. the spring loaded punches work great, though.. i've done probably 20 or more with this one, and it's a great center punch for the press.

you can even get different tips for 'em.. i've seen blunt tips, and a guy could probably even find chisel tips and who knows what else.
    Do you side-stake or top-stake with the spring loaded punch?

On a side note: What do the factories use as a staking ficture? Did Ned just make a smaller, consumer version?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    Do you side-stake or top-stake with the spring loaded punch?

On a side note: What do the factories use as a staking ficture? Did Ned just make a smaller, consumer version?

different manufacturers are gonna use different methods.. i would GUESS that most just use spring loaded punches.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 09-19-09 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    The only “problem” I see with using the automatic center punch for side staking is, unless the center punch is adjustable, I have no control over the depth of the stake.

I’m kinda partial to the hand stake method due to the control I have over the staking tool and hammer. I can basically “customize” my stakes placement, size, angle, width, depth, ect.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    The only “problem” I see with using the automatic center punch for side staking is, unless the center punch is adjustable, I have no control over the depth of the stake.

I’m kinda partial to the hand stake method due to the control I have over the staking tool and hammer. I can basically “customize” my stakes placement, size, angle, width, depth, ect.
    you can turn the tension up or down with the knob on the back.. for carrier keys, you turn it all the way up, and it's still going to take 4-6+ clicks to create a good stake- which is good, 'cause it lets you shape the stake.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    A couple bucks, and about 5 minutes of work. Hammer not included.
    You'd think bending a little metal wouldn't be so complicated.

The moaks surely has it's place, but the average guy doesn't need it for an occassional stake job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Uhhh.......That is a link to THIS thread.
    I needed a good laugh!
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    A thread has been already started . https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38047
    This is what can be construed in software development circles as an "Infinite Loop"!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    This is what can be construed in software development circles as an "Infinite Loop"!!
    The threads were combined after I posted that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Guys, I really appreciate the support. It is great knowing people are looking out for me!

This is nothing but a little SNAFU. I am making a batch of MOACKS Plains for Brownell's as we type. Same product as pictured on my site.

I've been a customer of Brownell's for, I dunno, maybe 25 years now.... and I have never had a complaint. The individuals there, and the whole company culture and personality, is one of straight dealing. In recent years, they have been a customer of mine too, as they carry my SafePort and EoStickers. Same deal-- they could make wild demands, beat me up on price, string me out on payment or not pay at all (hey, sounds just like when I was in plastics and the customers were from the Big Three)...... but they don't. They've been GREAT to deal with going both ways.

Anyone trying to order this tool has probably been told "out of stock, coming soon"..... exactly right. I probably won't have these ready to go to Brownells for a few more weeks (although I have them in stock here). That pic in the latest catalog is the wrong pic and a case of bad timing (like me not getting these done quick enough). As you can imagine, the gestation on making thousands of catalogs is long and unpredictable. That catalog got done before the product.

Thanks again for the concern and support-- when I saw this kinda thought it might happen...... basically, you guys are so predictably "a great bunch of guys" .
    Last edited by Ned Christiansen; 09-19-09 at 13:35.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast