Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staked Castle Nut...

Feedback Score

Staked Castle Nut...

I would like to install a Magpul ASAP on my Colt carbine.

But I have noticed that the Locking Nut appears peened.

Would I be able to install the sling attachment or does someone with gunsmithing skills need to do it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    got a castle nut wrench? just gotta man through it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatapple View Post
    ...Would I be able to install the sling attachment or does someone with gunsmithing skills need to do it?
    You can do it yourself. You need to buy a castle nut wrench, Brownells is an excellent place to start. Be advised, It's gonna take a shit ton of tourqe to break the staking. Start by placing the lower in a padded vice. Next, attach the wrench and slide a steel pipe over the handle for more leverage, then pound on it with a hammer. Let me know how it turns out.
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBears85 View Post
    Start by placing the lower in a padded vice.
    start by placing the receiver extension in a padded vise... leather works good. you don't want to smash your lower in the vise, nor is it ever a good idea to put that much torque on the magwell.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    start by placing the receiver extension in a padded vise... leather works good. you don't want to smash your lower in the vise, nor is it ever a good idea to put that much torque on the magwell.
    Good point. When I worked on mine I was very careful as to put just enough pressure on the lower to keep it in place, though I never thought about the amount of tourqe that would be excerted on the magwell. She still works flawlessly, so I guess I got lucky. Anyways, thanks for correcting me. I definately wouldn't want to be responsible for ****ing up this gentlemans rifle.
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score
    If you have a small punch you can peen some of the metal back away from the castle nut. Then you would not have to use as much force to loosen it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would actually use the upper receiver vise blocks rather than put the lower receiver extension in a vise, padded or not.

Last edited by Iraqgunz; 04-10-10 at 03:54.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I would actually use the upper receiver vise blocks rather than put the lower receiver extension in a vise, padded or not.
    esplain, por favor

Feedback Score
    esplain, por favor
    I'm confused also. Doesn't the upper have to be seperated from the lower to use the upper receiver blocks? Que no?
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    If you have a small punch you can peen some of the metal back away from the castle nut. Then you would not have to use as much force to loosen it.
    Hello all, He's right with a small round steel punch drive the indented metal back onto the receiver tube lock. If you are prone to slipping then put a couple of raps of tape around the area to protect it from tool marks .DON'T get in a hurry and it will be a lot easier to remove the nut. If you are going to do many other modifications to your weapon then buy a good quality armors wrench . DPMS makes one and brownells sells others to. THE no.1 rule in gunsmithing is to take your time and be careful its all pretty simple. Patriot
    "you wanna know what i think....it don't really matter what i think. once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit go right out the window!"SFC Hoot Hooten.

( what are you gonna do )" I'm gonna get better and burn their play house down".
    Bob Lee Swagger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast